The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complex Subdomain Setup Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by royli57, Jul 28, 2005.

1. royli57

royli57 Active Member

Sub-Subdomain Setup Question

Hello

This is a moderately comlex question - I could not figure out how to summarize it to even put in the title.

I operate the Crossmap.com web portal. We have a dedicated server for www.crossmap.com.

We also have numerous international affiliates, and we want to create accounts for them on the hosting server that we have. For instance, our Kenyan affiliate is ke.crossmap.com.

Crossmap.com is using the hosting server for DNS, so Crossmap.com has one DNS entry. We created another account with the domain ke.crossmap.com on that server. This means there is a separate DNS entry for ke.crossmap.com.

The problem comes when using subdomains. When we create a subdomain in the cpanel for KE Crossmap, it shows up the DNS zone for ke.crossmap.com. When the new subdomain is accessed via the browser, like news.ke.crossmap.com, it will load the page 50% of the time, and 50% of the time cannot resolve the subdomain.

Any hints about why this is?

thanks

Roy

#1 royli57, Jul 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  2. royli57

royli57 Active Member

Any ideas?

3. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

I assume that you created crossmap.com first using WHM and then created ke.crossmap.com using WHM. Now you are using cPanel under the username for ke.crossmap.com to create a sub-domain of ke.crossmap.com. If this is the case, then WHM/cPanel is working correctly as it see's the situation, since it's assigning the new sub-domain to the ke.crossmap.com user. The only way I know of to resolve it is by manual edits/adds of sub-domain zones using the WHM as root. Completely delete the zone owned by ke.crossmap.com and add records to the master crossmap.com zone for your sub-domains. WHM/cPanel isn't designed for the specific task your attempting.