The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complicated hosting for wordpress

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by byrcar, Oct 4, 2016.

1. byrcar

byrcar Member

May 6, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is a kind of complicated setup, so let me explain how things are now and then I'll jump into how I'd like them to be.

Our main domain is hosted and maintained by a host on server1 at a domain name of
    We're hosting several wordpress installations at * hosted on a cpanel site on server2 using subdomains. ie cpanel domain is, with subdomains set up like This works since I can change our public DNS settings to point the subdomains to server2.

Now it's become necessary to switch our wordpress installation to a "multisite" due to the fact we're adding more sites, and doing things like maintaining themes and plugins is becoming cumbersome. I tried adding a cname entry in cpanel that points to the "internal", but something isn't working and I seem to be missing the issue.

Is there any way to point to the (internally accessible only) in cpanel/whm?
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should be able to configure the CNAME record on the DNS server that hosts Make sure you don't have separate DNS zones for "" and "" on that server.

Also, you mentioned an internal network. Could you elaborate further on that?

Thank you.