The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

config missing in /etc/namded.conf for some domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sureshot, Jul 30, 2004.

1. sureshot

sureshot Member

After noticing that some of the domains i host were showing up with one, sometimes two, lame nameservers i started looking into finding out why this was happening. when updating a dns record on a clustered server for one of these domain names i would also get a rndc 'not found' error when some of the ns in the cluster restarted after the edit.

i noticed that in the named.conf file some of my hosted domains [the ones with lame ns] do not have the necessary config information in there.

i was wondering if anybody has had this same issue, or if anybody knows what may be causing the config file to not get updated with the proper information when an account is created.

2. sureshot

sureshot Member

i should also add that the proper .db files are created and do exist in /var/named/

3. sjackson909

sjackson909 Well-Known Member

If bind is pissed about lame name-servers make sure that them name-servers are not CNAME's. They must be A Records like

ns1 IN A 192.168.1.1

not

ns1 IN CNAME domain.com.

Also make sure that they have PTR records too..

Thanks
    -Seth

4. sureshot

sureshot Member

yup. the dns for ns1/ns2/etc is all setup correctly. bind doesn't give any errors, just doesn't have master configs created for some domains [i assume this is a problem with cPanel]

the lame ns errors are from www.dnsreport.com