The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuration Error? Site Displayed as IP instead of URL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fisher318, Apr 18, 2012.

1. fisher318

fisher318 Member

I don't know where to post this question or what in the heck to do to fix this. For some reason I have one site on my dedicated server, when you do a Google search for their domain name, the #1 listing result is their IP address as XXX.XX.XXX.XXX/~username instead of their domain name.

In doing plenty of research, it seems that it's a server configuration error according to what I'm reading. I have my own dedicated server, but I don't know what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas of what I can check? If so please be detailed in your response.

When I search for company name, Google displays: http://XXX.XX.XXX.XXX/~username/index.php

When you click thelink it goes to: http://www.XXX.XX.XXX.XXX/index.php - which of course is met with the response that Google can't find the site.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Forgetting google for a moment, are you able to access that site by way of the same type URL yourself? If yes, turn that Feature off.

WHM > Security Center > Apache mod_userdir Tweak

3. fisher318

fisher318 Member

Yeah, I had tried that, but for some reason reversed what I did. I just went in and re-checked that box under Apache mod_userdir Tweak for that domain name. Is it best practice to do that for all domain names on my server?

Now at this point I'm guessing we just wait for the next Google crawl to see what changes it makes? You can do a search for -removed- on Google to see what I'm talking about.

I'll come back and edit that link in this post within the hour. I've just noticed how quickly Google crawls this site, and thought maybe adding a link to the correct name and url might help Google along in the process.

I've also submitted the site using Google Webmaster Tools, hoping that would do the trick, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference as of yet. The most recent cache date for the IP address crawl was March 24, 2012 and the most recent crawl for the URL was April 7, 2012.

Thanks again for the help!

#3 fisher318, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When you check the box beside the domain name, you are Excluding protection.

No results as described come up for me when searching for your domain. Every result I looked at was the correct URL.

GL!

5. fisher318

fisher318 Member

Thanks for your help! I downloaded an SEO Canonicalisation Plugin for Joomla and set that up, and then followed your instructions about making sure to check the Apache mod_userdir Tweak, and then it seems that it updated in Google. There are still IP related pages in the index, but I'm guessing those will start dropping out here soon as well.

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm pleased Infopro was able to assist you in getting this resolved. I did want to address the following:

The workarounds forum is for posting solutions to issues you are having for other users, so I went ahead and moved this to the general cPanel & WHM Discussions area. Here's the discussion on the purpose of the workarounds forum:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f402/perl-e-print-hello-world-n-252841.html

We just would like to keep the workarounds area valid for users looking for actual workarounds. Just keep in mind, if you aren't certain where something should go, posting it to the general cPanel & WHM discussion area is typically the best spot, since that's oftentimes the right location for most threads.