The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuration files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dryaf, Jan 11, 2010.

1. dryaf

dryaf Registered

Hello

With cPanel can we make changes and configure Apache, Mysql and php from their configuration files /etc/apache2/apache2.conf, /etc/mysql/my.cnf and /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini ? what I mean but that is can we combine both the power of GUI of cPanel and use console commands to better configure servers or with cPanel console commands will not work ?
    And can we sometimes use line command in console and it will apply without passing by cPanel ?

Thank you

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It depends on the config, mysql cPanel does not modify. The apache and php it does. Some options you can get to stick via using apache distiller, some you could put into the other apache configuration files that are included.

Basically - no quick answer. It is a combination of yes and no.

3. dryaf

dryaf Registered

Your answer makes me a little bit scare of those control panels which actually not sure if I should take a cPanel with my package or no all my question round around a single answer. For my case I won't host many websites but as root I should be able to perform admin tasks, of course I can do that via console but what I ask if I perform an admin task to Mysql does this will appear on the control panel ?

I still have ambiguous about cPanel, does it work or consume resources on the back end ? I mean if I didn't use it or it consume resources and work just when I am working and using it otherwise it didn't perform tasks ?
    Some tasks I perform on console are like :
    Code:
    su -
    nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf
    // Perform changes for some variables ... then save the file
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart
    What I am asking for is their a kind of compatibility between line commands and cPanel, of course I assume that my commands will not touch at all any thing related to cPanel configuration or installation.

Thank you

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If I understand you correctly I think the safe answer is yes, you'll be fine doing what you want in your example provided.
    cPanel does provide the option of a test licence that you might look into to give it a test run and have some fun poking around. You would need to reload the OS if you choose to not go with cPanel after testing though.