The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configure ascii file types in webdisk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PCZero, Apr 8, 2015.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I use a lot of php in coding my web sites. When using webdisk, php files are not treated as ascii files so that i lose all readablity when i open one of the files and try to edit it. is there a way to configure webdisk so that it recognizes php files as plain text?

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's certainly odd, and annoying. Do the PHP files have the executable bit set?

Also, what is your desktop platform (in case it is relevant for reproducing this)?

3. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

When I FTP in, the file permissions are 644.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

If I download (copy/paste) the file from the server to my local machine, or when I open it diretly form teh sever via WebDisk, this undesired result is what I get.

If I open the remote fiel using WordPad it is fully readable because of the nature of how WordPad works. I MIGHT be able to use that and then SAVE AS plain text, but I do not want to hve to put my clients through that extra step.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

To clarify, this is happening via Web Disk, but also when you download the files directly to your system using FTP? What application are you using to open the files?

Thank you.

5. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

1st sorry for the delayed reply. I was away on a cruise! :) Error does NOT occur with FTP. Only with Web Disk. When I either download with webdisk to my local machine or I open the remote file directly via web disk the error occurs. I am using notepad ( the most plain text editor ever). I can open the webdisk download (to local machine or direct) with wordpad but then I have to remember to "save as" when I am done and my clients need the simplicity of using notepad.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.