The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configure Backup Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kabatak, Apr 18, 2012.

1. kabatak

kabatak Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a couple of questions in WHM backup
    • If I select "Daily" in the Backup Interval do I still need to select all the days in "Days to Run Backup" (Sun-Sat)? What's the difference between the two options?
    • In Backup retention, if I chose Daily, does it mean that I will only have a single backup for 1 day ago? If I chose Weekly, I will have a single backup from 1 Week ago? If I chose Monthly, I will have a single backup from 1 month ago?
    • If I do not select "Select Specific Users" when I set the backup, then after a few a days I added a bunch of new cpanel accounts, will the new cpanel accounts still be added in the backup or do I have to repeat the backup config every time I add a new cpanel account?

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

1.Yes, you should also choose days to run the backup. In backup Interval if you choose daily then it will also take Weekly and Monthly backup.
    2. In Backup Retention, if you choose daily then it will take weekly as well as monthly backup. If you choose weekly then it will also take monthly backup. If you choose Monthly then it will ONLY take monthly backup.
    3. It will automatically add new accounts. You will not need to add new accounts manually each time for backup configuration.

3. kabatak

@thewebhosting Thanks!

Just to clarify in Backup Retention:

- Daily means I will have 30 backup files (each day from 1 month ago)
    - Weekly, means I will have 4 backup files (each week from 1 month ago)
    - Monthly, means I will have 1 backup file (1 month ago)

4. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. You get a clear idea now.

5. kabatak

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

I just checked my backup files but appears that I only have one daily, one weekly, and one monthly. Is this the expected behavior?

I thought I was going have the following:

6. Tom Risager

Tom Risager Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe so, that's how mine works - I only have the most recent daily backup at any given time.

7. kabatak

@Tom Risager: I see. So I guess we can only have 3 sets of backup.

I was wondering if there's a way to have daily backups saved for x days?
    For example: run daily backups, do not overwrite exiting backups, only delete backups older than 7 days.

8. Tom Risager

Tom Risager Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel has nothing built-in that does that (as far as I'm aware).

I suppose you could write a script that makes copies of the backups and deletes backups older than 7 days, and then have a cron job execute your script after the cPanel backup completes.

On my servers I use cPanel to create an uncompressed incremental daily backup, then use Jungle Disk Server edition to backup the entire server to Amazons cloud. I keep everything for 30 days.

Jungle Disk does block-level de-duplication, so the amount of data that is transferred and stored is kept to a minimum. Jungle Disk does use a bit of memory when it runs, so it may not be a good solution if you are on a very small VPS. You pay monthly fees for the software and for storage.

If you have two servers you can take a look at cPremote - a payware cPanel plugin that lets you take incremental cPanel backups to a remote server using rsync and lets you keep 7 generations of daily backups (plus weekly and monthly). The main issue I have with it is that it pushes backups to the backup server, so if your server is somehow compromised an intruder may be able to wipe both your server and your backups.

9. kabatak

@Tom Risager Thanks for the tip, will definitely try that. I hope Cpanel adds more flexible in next versions