Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Configure CNAME Records per Domain?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by sabian1982, Apr 11, 2019.

1. sabian1982

sabian1982 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have two domains both on the same server and held within the same cPanel WHM;

domain1.com (which runs some email software - Sendy)
    domain2.com (which i want to create a sub-domain on to server the contents of domain1.com)

Originally i thought it would be as easy as creating a CNAME record on domain2.com namely:

subdomain.domain2.com with the CNAME record www.domain1.com

On doing this however you get the following rather than the contents of domain1.com appearing:

subdomain.domain2.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

I've read the following article and attempted to create the CNAME and add an alias, but on attempting to add an alias

If i setup a sub-domain, i then end up with an A record and although i can setup a redirect that essentially defeats the object of being able to have the CNAME functionality.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Is it worth trying to create the sub-domain first, then deleting the A record, and then adding a CNAME record?

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @sabian1982

The A record is automatically created but you can change it to a CNAME instead if that's what you need. The A records and CNAME records for the domain can't exist at the same time so it'll need to be one or the other.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...