Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Configure domains in new installation

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Tusca, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Tusca

Tusca Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi all!

I have an issue with a new configuration of cPanel, this is the first time that I configure cPanel as a new installation and i want to know how to organize my domains and subdomains, how to configure the domains to reach cPanel and more.

Basically now I have a VPS that has IPv4 and IPv6 and a nameserver vps123456.provider.net.

During the configuration i've set the nameserver as nm1.domain1.net and I want this domain to configure more server in the future, nm2 etc...
    The domain DNS (in the domain dns panel) for now have only an A to the IPv4 of the VPS.
    Should I also declare the ns1.domain1.net and ns2.domain1.net (that are the ns of the cpanel installation) in the domain dns panel?

Sorry if it's not all clear but this thing is blowing me up, i need only to configure this installation in the correct and future-proof way.

Thank in advance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tusca

Tusca Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,
    thank you for the response!

I'm going to take a look at this page!

4. Tusca

Tusca Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @cPanelMichael

so, i am reconfiguring my cpanel installation because i was not sure if i had done right the old configuration cause the e-mail addresses that i've created in all my accounts were not working.

Now, i need to know how con i ensure that the cpanel hostname is correctly set-up?

I want to use a domain for cpanel, what are the configuration that i should choose for the domain? I should modify the DNS servers or the DNS zone?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can setup your hostname using the "WHM >> Change Hostname" feature:

Change Hostname - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Your hostname should be a subdomain (e.g. server.domain.tld) as opposed to the parent domain name (e.g. domain.tld).

The DNS zone is automatically setup after you create a new account:

Create a New Account - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Simply update the name servers for the domain name at it's domain registrar to the ones you created as part of the instructions from the document referenced in my previous response.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...