Configure email client when migrating cPanel accounts to new server

Rakaris Bakaris

Jan 8, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello!
We're on the way to move clients from old server (Centos 6.9 Cpanel newest version) to the new server (Centos 7 Cpanel newest version) by using transfer tool. Is it safe to change email server on email client account's configuration (without recreating the account) when performing Cpanel to Cpanel server migrations?
I have tested with Outlook 2013 and Thunderbird 52.4 synchronization was performed without issues.
Any potential issues?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Rakaris Bakaris

Jan 8, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If we transfer imap account between servers we have 2 options on Email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, phone / device mail) level:
1) close existing mail account, recreate the Email client account, and re-synchronize all the mail with new server;
2) configure the incoming and outgoing servers with new server name for existing mail account and re-synchronize only the changes with new server.
The question: is the approach [2] is considered as safe (all mails are available without corruptions and missing emails) and will some issues can occur performing the approach?
Thank you

Last edited:

Rakaris Bakaris

Jan 8, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It might be useful to review the docs concerning the transfer process itself:
Transfer Tool - Version 66 Documentation - cPanel Documentation
I have already read this, but nothing is mentioned about email clients configuration. All the migration cases I was performed approach [1], but as I have tested approach [2] with two mail clients I want to know the CPanel administrators and support staff opinion about this approach before I implement it on the production.
Thank you.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I'm not sure I follow you here. Assuming email was properly working on the cPanel users mail client, (outlook for example), prior to the transfer of the account, the mail client should still be working properly without any need to change anything after the transfer.

Rakaris Bakaris

Jan 8, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm not sure I follow you here. Assuming email was properly working on the cPanel users mail client, (outlook for example), prior to the transfer of the account, the mail client should still be working properly without any need to change anything after the transfer.
The email client is configured with old server name (before AutoSSL was introduced, we have used single certificate for services). Is it possible we get some trouble if server name will be changed from server1.domaiAn.com to customerdomain.com on email client ?