Configure Nameservers for Multi Servers

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have 3 servers, Which option is better to configure my nameservers for each server?

Option 1:
VPS 1 >> ns1.s1.domain.com & ns2.s1.domain.com >> 1st server IP
VPS 2 >> ns1.s2.domain.com & ns2.s2.domain.com >> 2nd server IP
VPS 3 >> ns1.s3.domain.com & ns2.s3.domain.com >> 3rd server IP

Option 2:
Can I set (ns1.domain.com & ns2.domain.com) for all the servers?
If yes, then how can I set the DNS for the 3 server's IPs using the same (ns1 & ns2)?

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Reactions: ImperialTrader

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello,

No it's not the same as a load balancer. A load balancer would balance traffic through to the different webservers, a DNS cluster will only direct DNS requests to the appropriate webserver.

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

No it's not the same as a load balancer. A load balancer would balance traffic through to the different webservers, a DNS cluster will only direct DNS requests to the appropriate webserver.
Thank you.

Do you think it's more professional to use DNS cluster and ask my clients to use only one main nameserver (ns1.mydomain .com & ns2) instead of asking them to use (ns1.s1.mydomain .com & ns2) then after (s1) server becomes loaded, I switch to a new server and ask the new clients to use (ns1.s2.mydomain .com & ns2) and so on..

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I don't see an issue with either naming scheme. ns1/ns2.mydomain.com may end up being more easily remembered but really that's the only thing I'd point out.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
A lot of people use ns3/ns4/ns5 and so on, really it's up to you but you may want to stick with a naming convention such as this to keep things orderly.

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
A lot of people use ns3/ns4/ns5 and so on, really it's up to you but you may want to stick with a naming convention such as this to keep things orderly.
Which is better in your mind?
1. To use DNS Cluster and ask all my clients to use One nameserver (ns1/ns2.mydomain.com)
2. To use each server it's own NS (ns1/ns2.s1.mydomain.com), then switch to (ns1/ns2.s2.mydomain.com) and so on..

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
You might end up with more reliability if you use a DNS cluster properly in my opinion

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You might end up with more reliability if you use a DNS cluster properly in my opinion
I just tried it and it works fine, that's what I need exactly :)

If you don't mind, could you please review the configuration steps with me?
I have 1 master server and many slave servers
WHM >> Configuration Cluster >> At the master server, I add all the slave servers and at each slave server, I add the master server only
WHM >> DNS Cluster >> Shall I do the same?

Now all the websites DNS hosted at the master server will be copied to all the slave servers (Is it correct to do this step?)
Also all the websites DNS hosted at the slave servers will be copied to the master server only (Is it correct to do this step?)
Do you think this copying of all the websites DNS to all the servers is correct or it will confuse me later? Any other solution?

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I'm glad that worked out for you!!

I'd suggest using direct links, this is exampled in the documentation I linked as well. Each web server directly links to the nameservers.

Now all the websites DNS hosted at the master server will be copied to all the slave servers (Is it correct to do this step?)
If you configure the DNS cluster in the manner I explained, yes you'd copy all DNS information to the nameservers

Also all the websites DNS hosted at the slave servers will be copied to the master server only (Is it correct to do this step?)
You wouldn't want to do this - The webservers control the DNS and submit it to the DNS servers where it's hosted - they shouldn't be submitting zones back to the webservers
Do you think this copying of all the websites DNS to all the servers is correct or it will confuse me later? Any other solution?
If you're using direct links and just copying data from your webservers to the nameservers there shouldn't be too much confusion or actually much hassle either. When you add a new account cPanel automatically sends the new zone file to the nameservers and when updates to dns zones are made cPanel automatically updates the nameservers as well.

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'd suggest using direct links, this is exampled in the documentation I linked as well. Each web server directly links to the nameservers.

If you're using direct links and just copying data from your webservers to the nameservers there shouldn't be too much confusion or actually much hassle either. When you add a new account cPanel automatically sends the new zone file to the nameservers and when updates to dns zones are made cPanel automatically updates the nameservers as well.
The link you sent me doesn't provide any steps on how to use direct links, it's just explaining what is direct links :)

Could you please tell me how to use it direct links to connect master server with slave servers?