Configure Nameservers for Multi Servers

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I wouldn't recommend using a DNS cluster for three web servers. I would recommend using a separate server with DNSonly if you'd like to use the same nameserver for all three of them. Clustering webservers can lead to conflicts with DNS records and it is not advised.

Furthermore, you would need to assign two nameservers, they can have the same IP address but there must be two.

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I wouldn't recommend using a DNS cluster for three web servers. I would recommend using a separate server with DNSonly if you'd like to use the same nameserver for all three of them. Clustering webservers can lead to conflicts with DNS records and it is not advised.

Furthermore, you would need to assign two nameservers, they can have the same IP address but there must be two.
Most of the large hosting companies are having 1000s servers and all their clients are using only this nameservers (ns1 & ns2.theirDomain.com)

I just need to do the same, that’s it :)

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
That is two separate nameservers, not one. This is a common practice and can be set up using a DNS cluster, but you would not cluster just webservers together. You would use a Separate server using DNSOnly with no websites on it (literally DNS zones only) and set your webservers up to cluster with it. The documentation I sent you previously goes over how to set DNS Clustering up properly.

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That is two separate nameservers, not one. This is a common practice and can be set up using a DNS cluster, but you would not cluster just webservers together. You would use a Separate server using DNSOnly with no websites on it (literally DNS zones only) and set your webservers up to cluster with it. The documentation I sent you previously goes over how to set DNS Clustering up properly.
Ok I did that, I linked my 3 servers together using Cluster.
I have 100 clients on each server with total of 300 clients.
I found that the DNS of the 300 clients have been copied to the 3 servers.
Now all my 300 clients are using two primary nameservers only (ns1 & ns2.mydomain.com), and now I could move any client from one server to another without asking my client to change his nameservers.

Is that's correct?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I explained that to you in my previous response.
You would use a Separate server using DNSOnly with no websites on it (literally DNS zones only) and set your webservers up to cluster with it. The documentation I sent you previously goes over how to set DNS Clustering up properly.

You might also want to consult with a qualified system administrator if you're unsure how to implement any of this correctly. If you don't have one, you might find one here: System Administration Services