The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configure private nameservers - Would this work?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ureche, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ureche

ureche Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello, i have semidedicated server and i want to use private nameservers.

I have 3 domains, domain1.com, domain2.com, domain3.com, and domain1.com is the main domain, for the moment is hosted by other company.

What i want to do is configure the server to use ns1.domain1.com, ns2.domain1.com, but i want to use this for the domain2.com and domain3.com, while domain1.com is still hosted by the other company. I don't know if this is possible. So this are the steps i understand i have to take, i didn't made any changes yet because, there is a heavy load on domain1.com, receiving a lot of orders and emails:

1. register the ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com with the server ips at the registrar. but i didn't pointed the dns to the newly created nameservers.
    2. go to WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area set the nameservers, add A entry for each nameserver with the ip i used to register at the registrar.
    3. go to Edit DNS Zone, edit main account (domain1.com) zone, add A entries.
    4. create new accounts for domain2.com, domain3.com, point dns for each at the registrar to ns1.domain1.com, ns2.domain1.com.

So my question is, would this work if i just create the nameservers and i don't point them for the main domain1.com?

I know this is like scratching the left ear with the right hand, but the main domain should be moved last.

I don't know if my explanation was clear enough as this is not my the first language.

Thanks

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You appear to have most of what you need to do correct; however, where is the DNS zone for domain1.com actually being served? If it isn't on your machine, then while you can create DNS zones for the nameservers there, you do not actually control the DNS zone for domain1.com there. You'll need to also add the A record entries for the nameservers and the NS entries for the nameservers at the location where the DNS zone is controlled for domain1.com, which would be where domain1.com is pointing for its nameservers.

If that isn't in your control, you'll need to ask whoever does control that DNS zone file to add the following entries:

Code:
    domain1.com.    86400   IN      NS      ns1.domain1.com.
    domain1.com.    86400   IN      NS      ns2.domain1.com.
    ns1     14400   IN      A       IP#
    ns2     14400   IN      A       IP#
    Above, please replace domain1.com with the actual domain name and IP# with the nameserver IP number.

Thanks!

3. ureche

ureche Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi, thank you for your answer.

I finally understand how this works. Unfortunately i don't have access to the machine where the actual dns zones are hosted. I will try to go with ns1.domain2.com, which is not my primary but i can point my domain to my machine.