The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuring a Route in Exim

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ramorse, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ramorse

ramorse Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have one client, a university based radio station. They have, and for a long time, have had the stations domain name addresses like bill@radiostation.org forward to other addresses mostly at the university's domain like billbo@university.edu. This has generally not been a problem.

I had to change the server's IP address (dictated by the data center) and suddenly some email is being flagged as phishing and having attachments removed, etc. I asked if the university could whitelist the IP and they said they could do that if ALL email destined for university.edu could be routed to a specific mail server.

Is this possible? If so, how?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you elaborate a little more on this? For instance, are they using a mail server cluster, and want you to route all outgoing email to a specific IP address? Also, you may want to review the following document to see if it's possible to make changes so your server is not detected as SPAM:

How to Keep your Email out of the Spam Folder - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. ramorse

ramorse Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We've actually figured this out. Apparently they use google for most mail service, but I guess they have internal mail servers and they whitelisted the IP of our server in their server and we hard coded the mx to have any email going to whateveruniversity.edu to that server.

Our data center provided the new IP and apparently somewhere in its history, the IP has garnered a bad reputation, although it not on any public blacklists that I can find. I will check out that documentation and see if there is anything there we're not already doing.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am happy to see the issue is now resolved. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.