The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuring Exim/Sendmail for High Load

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Tony Kanago, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Tony Kanago

Tony Kanago Member

Hello! I've been using cPanel for roughly on the administrative end, but generally the only email serving I've had on my servers is for the casual emailer. I am now maintaining a server that has a monthly mass mailer to roughly 30,000 users. What can I do to configure Exim/Sendmail for peak performance?

Also, with the default configuration (with the domain cap raised and the queue running every 20 minutes,) things are just moving very slowly. Mails are just lining up in the queue but not being sent for a while.

Where should I route mails to avoid bounces from nobody clogging the queue as well?

I'm checking my error logs now, so I'll post them in a bit. Can guess on other problems?

What other information would you like?

2. Tony Kanago

Tony Kanago Member

So here's something I see trying to deliver a few of them manually through the Queue manager - (near the end of the response from cPanel:)

SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<removed> SIZE=6545
    SMTP>> RCPT TO:<removed>
    SMTP>> DATA
    SMTP<< 250 2.1.0 <removed>... Sender ok
    SMTP<< 250 2.1.5 <removed>... Recipient ok
    SMTP<< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
    SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."
    SMTP<< 451 4.3.2 Please try again later
    SMTP>> QUIT
    LOG: MAIN

== removed R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mail1.wss.vip.scd.yahoo.com [66.218.85.170]: 451 4.3.2 Please try again later

Some work, others don't. This is the first one in the queue, and very few if none others are delivering from the cron.

3. Tony Kanago

Tony Kanago Member

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-C464
    CentOS 4.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

Kernel version: 2.6.9-42.ELsmp
    Machine Type: i686
    Apache version: 1.3.37
    PERL version: 5.8.7
    Path to PERL: /usr/bin/perl
    Path to sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
    PHP version:4 .4.3
    MySQL version: 4.1.21-standard
    cPanel Build: 10.8.2-CURRENT 464

4. Tony Kanago

Tony Kanago Member

What other information is needed? There are over 2000 messages in my queue.

5. teddyb

teddyb Active Member

Anyone, anything you or anybody else who is running a mas mailer that services 30,000 users ought to get their heads examined. Your never going to get any decent performance out of your server if your sitting there kicking of mass mailing like that. All its going to do is kill the server, doenst matter how big that server is. You shouldnt be hosting any sites on a server where this kind of mail quantity is being pumped outbound. The site should be on its own server period, and no other sites should be hosted on that server. The mail queuing up should be your indicator that something is wrong. Mail will never pile up if the server can keep up with the demand of servinging mail. But since your box is so bogged down it will queue forever and ever. Dont expect anything else.

Good luck!

#5 teddyb, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006