Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Configuring external secondary DNS

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by santrix, Oct 7, 2009.

1. santrix

santrix Well-Known Member

I run my own primary/secondary DNS via WHM. Nearly all of the host records, inevitably, point at my servers, but a few records point to external servers, for example, third party mail providers etc that some of my customers use.

In the event of my WHM based DNS servers failing, I would like my customers to be able to enjoy uninterrupted service when they look for thirdpartyhost.customerdomain.com

So, I would like to set up a tertiary server outside of my network that would simply act as a slave. I have looked at the services offered by rollernet.us and they seem to offer something like what I am looking for - but I have no idea how to tell WHM/BIND to allow zone tranfers to the external tertiary DNS server.

Steve

2. robb3369

robb3369 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually, get a small VPS at a good host and install the DNSOnly version of WHM... Setup is really simple and it should only cost about $100 per year...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. santrix

santrix Well-Known Member

Sounds good... I'll check it out, thanks.