The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuring reseller cPanel to use external DNSOnly cluster

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by autumnwalker123, May 16, 2014.

1. autumnwalker123

autumnwalker123 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am currently using a reseller account (shared server) to host my small business. I'm looking at moving to a VPS cluster within the year and am wondering about the best migration path.

Is it possible to setup my own DNSOnly name servers on my new VPS's now and point my existing cPanel reseller account to use these servers as its DNS cluster?

How will this affect my current hosted sites / domains?

Is it possible to use the same subdomains for my new name servers as I am using today with the reseller (i.e. ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com) or will I have to create new domains (i.e. ns3.example.com, ns4.example.com) and reset the default name servers for all existing accounts?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it's possible as long as your hosting provider grants the "Clustering" feature to your reseller account. You can use the same name servers, provided you update the name server IP addresses at the registrar.

Thank you.

3. autumnwalker123

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Michael!

So I can see in my WHM that I have access to the clustering feature, but it says the following on the page:

Does this mean I have to spin up my DNSOnly servers and then give the IP addresses to my current host to add to their cluster manager or can I simply follow the instructions provided from cPanel? Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, please provide that notice to your hosting provider and give them the IP addresses of your DNS-Only servers. You can access the DNS-Only servers as "root" and ensure you add the hosting server IP address in "Configure Cluster" and set the role to "Standalone".

Thank you.

5. autumnwalker123

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I thought it was the other way around - that I would log into the hosting server and add the DNSOnly cluster IPs as standalone?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, the setup should be as defined here:

Guide to DNS Cluster

When accessing Web Host Manager for the hosting server, you want to add the DNS-Only server and ensure the role is "Synchronize Changes" or "Write-Only". This way, changes made to the hosting server are synced to the DNS-Only server, not the other way around.

Thank you.

7. autumnwalker123

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah - I'm glad I followed up then!

So I want to add the web server IP in both of my DNS servers as "standalone" and add both DNS server IPs to the web server as "synchronize changes"?

WHM > NS1 sync
    WHM > NS2 sync

NS1 > WHM standalone
    NS2 > WHM standalone