The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

configuring & restoring backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by hetz, Jun 15, 2012.

1. hetz

hetz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

Although the backup section of WHM/cPanel looks easy, it's confusing a bit and gives a problem restoring backups.

Here's an example:

Today is Friday and I want to restore a backup from Tuesday, or Monday, or Wednsday. The only option I get is which backup set to use (daily, weekly, monthly), but not specific day to restore.

I could start writing scripts and use the scripts which are provided by cPanel to creating backups and do manual restore, but I'm looking for a full solution with GUI for customers.

So, if cPanel cannot do the above, is there any recommendation for such a plugin/package which can do this?

Thanks

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The daily backup is taken on a daily basis and overwrites the prior day's backup. There is not a folder for different days of the week, so daily means precisely that. That backup was taken approximately 12-24 hours earlier and was the daily backup for the specific day. If you want an older backup than the one 12-24 hours before, then you'd use the weekly backup which occurs on a specific day of the week every 7 days.

Basically, there is no confusion on that part as daily means just daily. If there were days of the week backups available, we'd probably have that in the interface, but as it stands now you only have a daily, weekly or monthly backup.

I do agree it would be nice to have dates on the backups available in the interface, though, so you know which date and time the backup was made. While this isn't quite the same as a 7 different days daily backup, it would at least give you a good timeframe for the files without having to log into root SSH to check the date and time yourself.

Thanks!

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You might be interested in following the work being done by our Angry Llama team. They are currently overhauling the backup system. What you are describing fits with what they are working on. Check out the progress in their forum Angry Llama