Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Configuring SpamAssassin

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Gregory Opera, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gregory Opera

Gregory Opera Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    My domain host – netregistry (Australia) – hosts my domain using cPanel… I can login as an with my domain admin credentials and access all of which cPanel offers, whilst logging with with user credentials (i.e. one of the e-mail addresses I have created) will give me access to whatever cPanel features I’ve enabled/installed (e.g. webmail and ownCloud).

One of the user accounts in particular gets a lot of spam and I would like minimise the impact of this by redirecting spam to the “Junk” folder in Roundcube (or the respective equivalent in Horde/SquirrelMail).

When I login to cPanel with domain admin credentials, it says that SpamAssassin is enabled, however I clearly continue to get spam in my inbox (otherwise I wouldn’t even be posting this), even whilst my webmail is open in my browser (this occurred as I was typing this).

How do I configure SpamAssassin for my entire domain (i.e. all of the e-mail addresses I have created), so that spam is automatically moved to Roundcube’s “Junk” folder and will this occur prior to my e-mail hitting my IMAP clients (e.g. Mozilla Thunderbird, K-9 Mail, etc…)?

My domain host currently uses cPanel 64.0.22. I have a choice between Horde Groupware 5.2.14, Roundcube (I can’t find the version number) and SqirrelMail (I can’t find the version number), though I prefer to use Roundcube.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gregory Opera

Gregory Opera Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I've created a few (global) filters just now, so time will tell how well this works...

Do the filters I have created affect delivery to third-party e-mail clients (e.g. Mozilla Thunderbird)(i.e. so that the "spam" is moved to the "spam" folder prior to being received in Thunderbird)? Or will I need to maintain separate filters in the third-party e-mail clients I use?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The email client should reflect the folders if you have configured the client to use IMAP, but it's likely a good idea to verify it works as intended when first setting this up.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Gregory Opera

Gregory Opera Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    IMAP and its synchronization is a wonderful thing; ever since I discovered IMAP many, many years ago, I have never looked back...

But what I meant will the global filters sort the e-mail before it hits <insert mail client>, even if I do not have the webmail interface open. Or will those global filters only apply only if I have opened the webmail first?

Also as best I can tell, SpamAssassin doesn't seem to do anything; the global filters (I created) clearly work, but SpamAssassin doesn't seem to catch anything as spam when I'm using Roundcube.

Does SpamAssassin only work with a particular webmail interface (Horde/Roundcube/SquirrelMail)? Or is there something I have not configured?

6. Gregory Opera

Gregory Opera Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    UPDATE: I can now confirm that it's not just SpamAssassin which does not appear to be working - the global filters are apparently having no effect either, as domains (i.e. "@domain.com") I have already added to the global filter list are still being directed to my inbox!

And in case you were wondering why I just did not edit my reply above - the forums wouldn't let me (they thought it was spam)...

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This suggests a potential issue with how Exim is filtering messages on this particular server. Could you report this issue to your web hosting provider so they can review /var/log/exim_mainlog to see what's happening to the affected messages?

Thank you.