The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about add-on domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matthicksphoto, Jan 18, 2013.

1. matthicksphoto

matthicksphoto Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello all,

I'm not especially literate in web design, so I find cPanel confusing at times, despite having my own site for 3 years.

Basically, I'm trying to get my girlfriend's site on the same host as mine, but I don't understand exactly what to do. We need to have two separate domains, mydomain.com and, for example, herdomain.com, as opposed to herdomain.mydomain.com.

Is this possible without getting her her own hosting service?

Thanks in advance!

2. PlotHost

PlotHost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Depending on your hosting plan you can add the second domain as an addon domain.
    See more info at Addon Domains

Another option is to upgrade to a reseller plan.

3. ozzieonline

ozzieonline Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know if your host allows more than 1 domain on your hosting package, but what you should do is point your girlfriend's domain at the same IP address as your domain. You can then add her domain as an add-on domain. It will be reachable by herdomain.mydomain.com and herdomain.com (if you are a bit technical you can prevent her site to be reached by herdomain.mydomain.com). But first of all you should ask your hosting company if it is possible to share more than 1 domain on your hosting package. If this is possible then register your girlfriend's domain and have it point to the correct IP address.

(if you rent or setup a vps (virtual private server) you can host more domains on the same package)