The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about backups

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by cr4u, Aug 11, 2013.

1. cr4u

cr4u Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Have always used FULL backup thinking that covers everything and bullet proof.

Having moved to a new Host I sent them the full backup and they say it's no good and cannot be restored through cPanel.

OK I now see that it does say that but whats the point in having it then? Says only suitable for moving to a new server and that's what I'm doing.

Don't understand but glad I found out now and not when everything has gone pear shaped.

Very misleading I think.

2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The full backup includes everything, the account can be restored (created) from it.
    However the backup can not be restored through cPanel, it must be restored through root WHM.

And you should ask your new host what they mean by "no good", maybe they mean it's corrupted?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The full backup will include your home directory, databases, email forwarders, and filters. You can request that your new hosting provider restore the account from this backup archive if you can provide it to them.

Note that per our documentation, you cannot use a full backup to restore your site via the cPanel interface. The file must be downloaded and decompressed prior to restoration. Once the file has been decompressed, you will be able to upload and restore individual pieces of your website contained within the full backup.

Thank you.