The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused about spamassassin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by denisdekat09, Mar 26, 2004.

1. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

Hello Folks :)

I am curious exactly where spamasssain is grabbing the default rules. Here is what I can tell so far:

1) main conf file - location is in /etc/mail/spamassassin/locale.conf

2) user rules - location is in /home/user/.spamassasin/user_prefs

Now, I found that my default rules and user_prefs have no settings. Does this mean that I somehow am running the default rules from somewhere else? or does this mean that spamassasin comes with a preset of rules that if not configured set its own value?

Sorry to sound dumb, I tried to read the documentation, serching here and other forums, but I am unsure as to the one issue, which is if all my rules are blank, how come it is working?

Thanks for any help, tips, etc.

2. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

Not sure of this, but I think when the file /home/username/.spamassassinenable exists, then it will use default rules built in to spamassassin.

3. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

Great, so there are default rules :) I could not find that somehow, I will go back and read up on the documentation, thanks!

4. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Is this accurate, or does that file simply mean that SpamAssassin has been enabled on that account.

We have a customer complaining his updated user_prefs file isn't getting read and we want to rule out the statement above.