The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused over various updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DavidR, Dec 22, 2004.

1. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

I'm relatively new to Linux having come from a Windows hosting background. I will be asking some questions for a bit so please bear with me! I will research each question before asking.

I am confused about the update options availabe in WHM. Under "Cpanel/WHM Update Preferences" we have:

1. cPanel/WHM Updates
    2. cPanel Package Updates
    3. Security Package Updates

Then under "Software" we have:

4. Update Server Software
    5. Update System Software
    6. Update Backend Scripts

Ok, I think I understand #1 to be the cPanel/WHM application itself and I have it set for manual/stable. However, what then is #2 in comparison (and why is it separate)? For that matter, what is the difference between these and 4,5,6? #3 I can guess but I still don't know what software it covers. Could someone give a brief explanation of what differentiates these choices and perhaps what they actually apply to? I know you can't list each app (though if there *is* a list please let me know) but I need some logical reference to help me wrap my mind around it.

Thanks!

David

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

1. cPanel/WHM Updates
    - Allows for updates of the cPanel & WHM software itself.

2. cPanel Package Updates
    - updates for software that cpanel installs that are otherwise not provided by your OS vendor such as mySQL4, proftpd, exim, etc, etc.

3. Security Package Updates
    - Updates from your OS vendor. For instance if you run redhat, any errata updates for services / programs installed on your system and released by redhat will be allowed to install on your system. Assuming you're running redhat or redhat based OS. Same goes for other OS's.

4. Update Server Software
    - updates the "cpanel packages" as described above, as far as i can tell.

5. Update System Software
    - Looks for and installs updates from your OS vendor, see "Security Packages" above.

6. Update Backend Scripts
    - Updates cpanels /scripts directory which holds a large part of the scripts used to manage and keep cpanel up to date.

Generally you won't really need to bother with 4 5 and 6. If you have cpanel updates on manual, your best to run /scripts/upcp via a shell sesion running screen ( incase your internet session dies ). screen is a program available by most OS vendors, but not installed by default. Consult your OS documention for installation instruction, you might also be able to use the rpm installer within cpanel as well. For help with various linux commands type ( and make sure the program is installed first ) man programnamehere at the linux bash prompt when logged in via SSH.

3. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

The redundancy explains some of my confusion - thanks! So, does /scripts/upcp do the same as #1, or does it do 1, 2, & 6? I am running Fedora 2, so I assume that it is ok to use Yum to install individual programs not available in the RPM installer (if necessary, I don't plan on many additions). This particular system is a VPS for getting my feet wet, so kernel upgrades are performed by the VPS host.