The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused - Setup/DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tiascott, Feb 10, 2004.

1. tiascott

tiascott Member

I'm confused on how to use the setup options. I have a dedicated. Anyways I'm having problem with the following:

-Edit Setup
    -Change Hostname (the wizard said it is added fine, but everytime I log in, it says there was a problem)

I also am having a problem with adding nameservers. I want my users to be able to park their domain names on my server and I'm really confused on how to do it. I have two name servers with IP's:

ns1.clientcenters.com
    ns2.clientcenters.com

That a previous host help me set up. They are currently set up through godaddy.com. How do i assign those name servers to my servers.

Is there an easy to understand tutorial on how to do that above. I tried reading cpanel documentation , but there are words in there I don't understand.

Thanks,
    Tia

2. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi,

You need to "Create the nameserver" with GoDaddy first, basically you'll give GoDaddy the nameserver hostname and the new IPs. Than you will set it up in WHM.

But first you need to register/create teh nameservers with your registrar so they know that this hostname points to this IP and is a nameserver. :)

3. tiascott

tiascott Member

The registrat is GoDaddy. I already have IPs and name servers set up with the registrar, as I have a previous reseller account and set this up.

I just don't know how to do this with WHM, so when I add new accounts, it points to ns1.clientcenters.com, etc.

:eek: <-confused

4. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Make sure you have your two IPs setup and available. After this click on "Initial Nameserver setup", read the warnings, and proceed through that.

After this is done, go to "Edit Setup" go back to the primary and secondary nameserver setup and enter the FQDN (Hostname) of each nameserver appropriately. Now, click on Assign IP and Add A Record for each of these, after this is all done click setup.

Go to Manage Nameserver IPs and verify the IPs and nameservers are listed correctly. If so, this should be done. You might have to go clean up your dns zones afterwards if you borked it at all before hand (IE: if you have ns1.domain.com.db or anything ugly like that)

5. tonyxp

tonyxp Member

I followed these steps and it gave me error this error:

"Zone xxx.com does not exist, a new zone for ns1.bhelper.com will be created.
    ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): Connection refused ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)
    Created DNS entry for ns1.xxx.com
    Add Complete "

The steps are:
    1. I created the NS1.xxx.com and NS2.xxx.com at my registrar with 2 available ips (where xxx.com is my domain)
    2. I entered NS1.xxx.com and NS2.xxx.com into the Primary and Secondary nameserver in WHM
    3. Click "assign ip address" ok
    4. Click "Add A Entry for nameserver" give me the error above.

Did I do anything wrong here?

6. rodolfochka

rodolfochka Active Member

I had a same errror like you,

I created the nameservers in whm:
    ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com
    later I clicked on Assign IP and I Added A Record
    and worked fine.

Later, I logged on into my Registar, I created the nameservers and asigned the IPs:
    ns1.domain.com xx.xx.xx.13
    ns2.domain.com xx.xx.xx.14

After this I changed the hostnames to my nameservers:
    ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com

But the domain is not resolving to the server. I guess I have to wait for the hostnames propagates or something like this, but i'm still waiting
    :confused:

7. rodolfochka

rodolfochka Active Member

I have this errors:

if Click in the "EStablish a truth relationship with a primary nameserver" says me that:
    No dns master has been defined please edit your setup

and if a click in " Synchronize DNS Records with Primary Nameserver" says me the same error:
    Rebuilding DNS Zones List from master server .....
    Sorry no dns master was defined

what did i do wrong?
    :(