The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused to where to set dns value for moved domains

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by durangod, Aug 5, 2014.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

well we finally moved the sites over from the shared to the new vps server. So now i have two sets of sites, one with the old shared ip's and one on my vps with the new shared ip's

this is what my host told me to do, and now i am confused as to what to do or where to find it.

i made a flow chart so i could understand better but that didnt work for me. I been to my reseller whm and my reseller cpanel, my vps whm, vps cpanel and i just cannot figure out where or how to do what they ask of me...

I wonder if they are talking about doing this in my opensrs panel... that makes sense

Im really totally stumblebumbled here lol

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Assuming you have nameservers setup on the new server already, you'd go to your Domain Registrar and update from the old nameservers to the new ones, there, yes.

3. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    yes sir i just went into the opensrs interface and changed the ips of my custom dns name from the old shared to the new shared ip's

now just to make sure here that i have this covered as i assume i will need to wait for propagation, where exactly in root whm do i check to be sure about the name servers setting (just so i dont have to poke around too long) lol

- - - Updated - - -

resolver config?

- - - Updated - - -

I also went under cpanel and whm setup and at first i clicked assign ip by the ns1, and it assigned the old ip, so then i clicked the create A record (which i assumes overwrites that mistake) and set each one to the new shared ip.

- - - Updated - - -

ok ns record report under dns functions shows the two old resovers, so yes now im convinced thats what i need to change. I wonder what the dif is between editing it here in the report or in resolver config?

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You want to do this though. The more you do, the more you'll find and get used to knowing where things are at. :)

You can view the DNS record for your nameservers here:
    WHM » DNS Functions » Edit DNS Zone

Do these details match what you have setup at the Domain Registrar?

Also, the docs should be of some use:
    Resolver Configuration - cPanel Documentation

OpenSRS has a video that you might find useful too:
    /https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlbRYftpW08

5. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    ok thanks, i was reading another thread, which said to update the number on the nameserver report page to run this

/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips

is that still the case

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's not required for you to run that command. Name server IP data on the cPanel server has no bearing on DNS propagation. The data is cached and updated after a period of time.

Thank you.

7. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    cool thanks

8. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    one quick question, the resolvers ips should be my new shared ip's correct, that would make sense to me.. Everything crashed and cant even get into whm now. And the emergency access is blocked too

what is strange is that it all looks ok on intodns other than ip 20 is not responding but that should not keep it from loading.

here is a test you can look at one of the sites... icodmods dot com

- - - Updated - - -

19 and 20 are the new ips... if you see 59 and 60 anywhere those are the old onces but i dont see that, and it has propagated

9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, your resolvers should be resolver IP addresses from your data center, or public resolvers such as 8.8.8.8. You should not use IP addresses assigned to your server.

Thank you.

10. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    then thats is what happend... omg .... will my host need to reset the resolvers for me ?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah ill have them do it... What threw me off was that it says those numbers are given by the data center, well thats where my host got the ips from that i am currently using, so natually i thought i was right. Maybe cause of stupid people like me, maybe add a small sentence on the docs that says "these number are not your shared or dedicated ip numbers " lol ...

thanks

11. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Well seems like they (my host) flew the coop for a awhile, so i guess my back is against the wall here, i can choose to wait for them to get my whm back online , who knows when that will be, or i can reinstall everything again for the 4th time.... You know what i wish, i wish some of the pros from the old days sitting up there saying how easy this is, could experience todays setup from my point of view.

Having people talk like you know whats what, having people say things with such general meaning that im like huh, and i feel stupid for asking. I wish those people could see how it feels to feel like you dont belong doing what your trying to do but trying to have enough confidence to get thru it. How many mistakes has this been for me now where i totally got shut out from my own server, too many to ask. I really dont belong in this business if i cant understand it.

oh well, guess ill shut up now and hit the reinstall button and stop my freaken whining, take my medicine for my own stupid mistake and go on...

later sorry

12. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    lmao and the thing that makes a disaster even sweeter is when the plan does not work, i reinstalled and my whm is still down because of the resolver lmao... boy when i break stuff i dont mess around ....

13. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That's one of the saddest posts I've ever read on these forums. I'm really sorry to read it.

If you're going to start over, start over with a Hosting provider that provides proper support and can assist you with this sort of thing, as he answers the same questions about basic server setup every day. Or, choose a Fully Managed Server instead and take some of the load off you so you can get out front and make money. How much is your time worth? How much are you saving by going it alone?

Your posts read to me like you're making changes on the fly and then looking for help as you go. Docs are your best friend, they really are.

For example:
    Your new server should have been configured in advance of moving any sites to it. IMHO. New nameservers, or DNS cluster setup to the old server to use the old nameservers would have been much easier to manage on your own. Once you had that done, moving the sites from one server to the other would go much easier. And when they got there, everything is configured to the new server, for that account, automagically by cPanel.

Setting up your own server is not so hard, but it does take lots of planning, doc reading, patience, patience, patience, and some common sense. And more docs reading.

Step 1: How to Move all cPanel Accounts from One Server to Another - cPanel Documentation

Step 2: Copy all accounts to the new server

Install, is the very first item on the new docs site for a reason. There's lots you need to know, and do, in steps:
    https://documentation.cpanel.net/

I'm sorry you feel that way. There is a lot you need to know, you bet, but cPanel makes a lot of this, much less work than you would be doing otherwise, without it.

Taking it all in context is important too. Reading lots and lots of docs, and forum threads can be very useful to get the context of things.

I knew I liked you. I can break anything, too. :)

14. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    @Infopro Thank you brother from another mother lol :)

I let my host have it with both barrels, he called when i said im done with this BS of abandonment, taking my business elsewhere. He is a one man band and i have been very very tolerant over the years but this has to stop. Issue is that he knows im limited on resources so i can just jump so quickly. However that is the game plan as soon as i can.

I did ask if i could do the move but the way he has this set up for lack of a better term, pretty funky. From what i gathered he is creating vps one right after the other to accomadate older scripts per user and sharing resources beyond reason and def beyond my understanding. Ill put it this way, he never says no to anything, he just makes another special little vps account.

Also i noticed this time i had to go in and revisit each of my zones to be sure no changes because his dns template is changing my zones in the xfer. So i have that fixed now. I learned my lesson awhilie back that one tiny mistake with one account zone can toss off the whole deal, its not suppose to but it does and thats what happened one time. One account had a typo in the dns and none of them worked. I can tell when this happened because intodns and others look fine and everything looks fine with the host name and propagation, but yet none of the sites work. Thats the first place i check is i go thru every zone to be sure everything is the same that needs to be. And 9 out of 10 times i find the problem right there.

Anyway so i thought it better he do the xfer since he knows his strange setup. Plus the fact that one of the shared dns is failing on call via intodns and i dont know why, he said they have never been issued and got them just for me. That is something he has to look into. As well as the return MX records showing some wierd company that we never heard of..

Thanks again, i know its not suppose to be this hard, and know that cPanel and everyone tries to help us make sense of it all. Sometimes i have to remember that if i was making money at this and had my investors (family) off my back and didnt have my medical issues that i do, my life would be much easier as well.

Yesterday was just one of those days where EVERYTHING went wrong, i even broke my office chair the piston went out. Course i had an omen and i should have stayed in bed, especially after having to cough and sneeze at the same time which was not that bad but i had a mouth full of coffee and my monitor got the full force of that, and that is how i started the day lmao....

Thanks again, better day today im sure... ;)

#14 durangod, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  15. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Let's see if cPanel can help you out there, too. :)
    You can get a kick ass, managed VPS, for a few bucks a month, from many of these cPanel PartnerNOC companies:
    cPanel Hosting Partner Directory

Reputable, trustworthy, companies. Take a look.

GL!

16. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    wow thats AWESOME, thats like candy lol... thanks

17. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yep. Tell 'em Infopro sent you. It won't get you a discount I don't think, but it can't hurt either. :p

18. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I hope they dont throw tomato's at me lol ;)

19. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Oh come on, tomatoes don't hurt. :p