The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused with web site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grampus, Mar 13, 2004.

?

Can even I be 'trained' to cope with CPanel?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2004.
  1. NO, forget it!..Stick to 'surfing' !

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes, you just need help. (LOTS of it!)

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. grampus

grampus Registered

:( Am I the ONLY person EVER who just can't get to grips with with web-sites?
    The terminology seems arcane (some of it) and after trying everything I can to access my actual web site, I just can't.
    When the idea for my site was fresh, I got into FrontPage, and after some initial ignorance, I proceeded to put together what I thought (and think!) is quite an attractive set of 'web pages'. I was pleasantly surprised just how user friendly 'Frontpage' is, even for me! The total result was something that would have been useful to 'users'. Notice I say WOULD have! I got the site all nice and tidy in Frontpage, I EVEN managed to 'export' it sucessfully into CPanel, as separate files.....And THIS is where it all went terribly 'pear-shaped' Do what I may, I CANNOT get at these files to put 'em in order and check the site to see the 'end' result!
    I was told it would be a 'piece of cake' to get a web-site up and running!

I think MY piece of cake must have been 'laced' with 'Warfarin' !!!!!!:confused:

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

First question I ask anyone who has trouble uploading and seeing their website is,
    Did you upload it to the public_html directory or to the root directory (the one you are in when you log in)?

When you log in you have to go to the public_html directory first. That's where the website files go.

3. wildear

wildear Member

I'm in the same boat as you. Have all my files uploaded to the public_html files. Graphics will not display. using the paths provided by cpanel.
    /home/username/public_html/image.jpeg

I have been trying to resolve this problem for over a month with no luck. Have you found a solution?
    I'm beginning to think it is a server problem.

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

That's not the link you're using is it? The link should be http://www.yourdomain.com/image.jpeg

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

To be more exact, the img code should be either
    img src="http://www.yourdomain.com/image.jpeg"
    or
    img src="image.jpeg"
    not
    img src="/home/username/public_html/image.jpeg"

6. grampus

grampus Registered

Well, thanks to EVERYONE who took time to answer my query and try to throw some light on the subject. Just a point of interest. I managed to get the files I want into the public_html, but still nothing in the actual web site. MIND YOU, I have not been having such a wonderful time with Frontpage 2000 either!...You can follow the instructions for LIVE publishing from FP2000, BUT my set up will not do as the CPanel tutorial says it should....Too Old (like me!)????
    Perhaps the thing only works correctly if it's 2002 or later.
    I really think it's time I pulled the plug on this computer, PERMANENTLY! and stick to what I DO know most about....Good old RELIABLE, EXTREMELY long lived, steam locomotives! Don't bother with any more comments anyone, 'cause I don't think me an' this 'puter will be together much longer! Good Luck All.
    "Grampus"