The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zahari4i, Jun 28, 2006.

1. zahari4i

zahari4i Member

People I'm getting crazy, I'm confused on a couple of things about dns.
    So I have registered a domain, i have purchased a dedicated server from the same registrar.
    Now, running a dns server on my server is optional, right?
    I don't understand which are the namesevers i need to setup on the registrars dns configuration webpage. There are the defaul ones, 2 nameservers , like ns1.thisnameserver.com and ns2.thisnameserver.com. In the cPanel general configuratiow the name servers I found by deafult are other, not the same as those that were configured on the registrars dns configuration page. I had a server for years home but never used bind or others just simple caching only name servers. That's why I'm confused right now.
    However is there any diferences in running a namerserver on my machine and using those provided by the ISP? If so do I need more than one IP? And how do I need to proceed?
    Thank you.

#1 zahari4i, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The biggist difference when running a 3 party dns at a register is you will have to add all of the zone files manually at the registar every time you or a user adds a dns record

to get it to work on your box
    you need to register a set of nameservers at your registar with a domain you own and point them to 2 of the ip's on your box

set your dns on your box to match in Basic cPanel/WHM Setup