The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion on Backup Configuration

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by DavidR, Feb 11, 2012.

1. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2003
    These may be simple questions but I'm not finding any answers. I am confused by two options in the WHM Backup Configuration.

First, "Select Days to Run Backup." If I chose Daily, Weekly and Monthly backups, do I need to check every day here? Does this control which days the "Daily" option refers to or is this only a selection of days when Weekly or Monthly may run? There seems to be no explanation in the docs and, at least to me, it is not obvious.

Second, "Backup Accounts." What exactly does this mean? What does this backup exactly that will not be if I de-select it? And what is the practical difference to any possible restore?

Thanks for any clarification.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

"Days to Run Backup" refers to the days in which the cPanel backup script will attempt to generate new backups on the system. For example, if you want daily backups generated every day except on Saturday, you would select "Daily", but uncheck "Saturday". If you have "weekly" and all seven days selected, you will still only get one new backup generation per week.

"Backup Accounts" is required to be enabled if you want your accounts backed up. The only time you would leave this option disabled is if you only want system configuration files or the MySQL directory backed up.

Thank you.