The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion over add on domains and subdomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wmguk, Jan 19, 2011.

1. wmguk

wmguk Registered

Hey,

Firstly I know the difference between an Add on Domain and a Sub Domain, but why does cPanel create a subdomain as well as the add on domain account?

I have www.mydomain.co.uk but I also want The Genealogist: Search Online Census, Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Record Indexes and Directories on the same server, but with TOTALLY different content.

When I set it up it works, but it is confusing because The Genealogist: Search Online Census, Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Record Indexes and Directories seems to create myhobby.mydomain.co.uk and that is not right - I dont get it using my plesk server and If I bought two seperate hosting accounts from a company that wouldnt happen, so I was wondering if there is a way to set cPanel to not use the subdomain system as well?

Thanks for any info.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    An addon domain is a special type of subdomain. An addon domain is a normal subdomain, except that it has a ServerAlias directive in the main domain's <VirtualHost> container in the httpd.conf file that makes content for the addon domain be served from the subdomain's document root. An addon domain may be loaded in a browser by calling either the domain name or subdomain name.

There is no direct equivalent to this in Plesk, and cPanel does not have a direct equivalent to Plesk's "standard forwarding" and "frame forwarding."