Connecting to WHM Securely and Conveniently

Jun 7, 2019
United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Good day,
There are many different addresses that can be used to connect to WHM. One address is example.com:2087. This gets me securely (that is, using SSL) to WHM. The disadvantage, at least in Firefox, is with auto-filling the name and password: Firefox displays 11 possibilities for example.com on my site, so it takes two extra clicks to get logged in.

To get around that, one could try whm.example.com. Firefox fills in the name and password, but there is no SSL certificate for whm.example.com.
WHM automatically creates the dns record for whm.example.com, but doesn't automatically create an SSL certificate for that subdomain. Is that an oversight? Also, could someone give a tip on how to request that certificate? Do I do it in "Generate an SSL Certificate and Signing Request"?

Thanks!
Chris

Jun 7, 2019
United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks, Anthony, for that suggestion. I ran the suggested code, which indicated that all my users' accounts are already optimized.

The cPanel document, "Service and Proxy Subdomains", says this: "SSL only secures the whm service subdomain for resellers." I made one of my users a reseller, and, indeed, whm becomes available to that user, although it is a greatly restricted version of whm. That accounts for why the dns record for whm.example.com was created. I could give that reseller access to "everything" in whm, which would let me access whm securely and without ports, and the browser would only displays one user/password for the site.

However, there would then be two ways to access whm: from the root account, and from the reseller user's account. I feel safer having just one account with whm access, so I removed reseller privileges from that account. I'll continue to access whm using example.com:2087, which uses ssl, and just requires two extra mouse clicks to select the correct user/password stored in my browser.

Chris