The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection between version of pdo_sqlite PHP extension and cPanel

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by roman2, Dec 10, 2011.

1. roman2

roman2 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Can version of pdo_sqlite PHP extension affect cPanel?

Hello,

I have a question that will probably seem silly, but I need some ammo (preferably from cPanel devs) in order to continue a dialog with my hosting provider :) Either that or to learn that I was wrong.

I've recently switched from PHP 5.2.x to PHP 5.3.8 on my website (my hosting provider has a dual PHP environment), and I've noticed that the version of SQLite Library that is used for PDO Driver for SQLite 3.x (pdo_sqlite extension) is very, very old. It is reported by phpinfo() to be 3.3.6. This version was released in summer of 2006 and, interestingly, is even older than what's reported for pdo_sqlite in PHP 5.2.17! However, according to the output of phpinfo() on my own recently installed local XAMPP server, the version for the same extension is 3.7.7.1 in the same version of PHP, 5.3.8. That is a very recent, much more advanced version of SQLite.

I've brought this to attention of tech support service of my hosting provider, but they refuse to upgrade this extension giving me vague and seemingly lame excuses, and here's their most recent and most technical attempt to explain why they won't upgrade it:

That doesn't make sense to me – how can the Python (not C and Perl?) based cPanel be affected by a PHP extension that provides PHP scripts with a means to work with SQLite.

So, my question to cPanel people: is the above anywhere close to truth? Can upgrading pdo_sqlite extension have a negative impact on cPanel?

Thanks in advance!

#1 roman2, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. roman2

roman2 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    The hosting provider has upgraded the extension, so I guess they have realized that cPanel couldn't be affected by upgrading pdo_sqlite.