The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection dies on server every 15-30 minutes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DWHS.net, Nov 11, 2005.

1. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's a new server that was doing fine, then I moved some domains over to it via web transfer tool and now it seems to have little 1 minute black out periods every 30 minutes or so.

Anyone else see anything like this?

The firewall and message logs do not show anything that repeats with the broken connections.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Try switching the iptables forewall off and see if it improves. If it doesn't and you get hangs in SSH, try doing a tracerout or ping and see if you get dropped packets. If not, then it's possible that there's a hardware issue.

3. XPerties

XPerties Well-Known Member

DWHS.net,

Odd because I have a new server that after I added some domains to it I have the same problem. The connection just dies to the websites. Now traceroutes form other sources show perfect when my connection dies. I thought it was my connection or network at the office/home but no matter what other website I go to when this happens everything else loads fine.

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

When in Poland, I used to find that my server was totally and utterly unreachable for a few minutes at a time and irregular but frequent intervals. For example it may be unreachable for a couple of minutes, then be fine for 30 minutes, then unreachable, fine for 2 hours, then unreachable and so on. The period during which there were no problems rarely exceeded 2 hours.

In this case, unreachable would mean that no domains would resolve and pings fail due to the domain not resolving. Pings to the IP just timed out. Any open SSH sessions would continue to work if they had been made to the IP and not to a hosted domain, however new SSH sessions, whether direct to the IP or to a domain, would timeout in attempting to connect.

During such unreachable periods (normally highlighted when Firefox couldn't resolve the MailWatch URL, the main page of which normally refreshes every 30 seconds), I found that others using the same ISP had the same problem whereas those using different ISPs (I only checked with UK based others in this case), everything was fine. Since, at the time and probably still so, there was/is but one DSL provider in Poland I assumed that it was an issue with my ISP and that I couldn't just switch to another. Given that it would take more effort than would be worth expending trying to get the ISP to take ownership of the issue, I just bit the bullet and lived with it.

However from my present location in London I find that the same tends to occur but with a vastly reduced frequency. I don't keep the main MailWatch page open all the time now (after a few months of careful monitoring I was happy that things were working to my liking), and so perhaps I don't encounter these unreachable periods so often. I continue to develop/monitor sites that I'm working on and hosting and rarely find that I simply can't get to them, so I'm sure that the frequency with which these unreachable periods occur has now reduced.

Given the fact that the unreachable periods still occur, albeit very rarely now, I can't be certain that the issue lies with the ISP, the datacentre, cPanel or somewhere inbetween. No clients have ever complained about such things happening to them and so I'm not really bothered by something that appears to plague just me.

Nevertheless if there is the possibility that this might be cPanel related (somewhat unlikely, but you never know) I'd appreciate anyone's findings on the matter.

5. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I shutdown APF and it works fine now.

Now sure how moving sites to the server triggered it, but I think it will be fine now when I start APF up again.

6. XPerties

XPerties Well-Known Member

I thought it was APF also and shutting it down did help a little but it still existing once in awhile (few times a day).