Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Connection Failing & Timing Out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KevBonline, Jun 24, 2019.

1. KevBonline

KevBonline Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hello again cPanel Experts!
    Thank you for helping me to resolve my last issue, I really appreciate it!

I have another perplexing problem that i'm hoping someone will be kind enough to offer advice on.

1. I have a cPanel reseller account with access to my own WHM on a shared server
    2. I am hosting 4 domains on my reseller account.
    3. I have valid SSL certificates enabled on all 4 domains
    4. I have recently installed (via ftp) new wordpress installations on all 4 domains
    5. When I login to WP on any of the 4 domains and start to edit (eg. post, page) my connection will time out after about 15-20 minutes (Secured Connection Failed, Connection Timed Out)
    6. I am then no longer able to access any of these sites (WP, cPanel, FTP, Outlook)
    7. However, I can access the sites and they work fine on my mobile (different ISP and IP)
    8. The only way I can regain access on my PC is to change IP address (reset modem, VPN, etc...)
    9. Unfortunately, after changing IP address the problem then repeats itself with the new IP (rinse and repeat)
    10. WebHost suggested I contact ISP. ISP said I am good on their end and they are not blocking any of these domains.
    11. I have tried disabling all plugins, but to no avail.
    12. I'm afraid that soon all the different IP's will timeout and I will no longer have access to anything.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This sounds like a firewall problem, are you using cPHulk and/or a firewall software such as CSF?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nixuser

nixuser Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Looks like a firewall issue. I believe you have only reseller level access. Please contact your webhosting provider with your IP address and ask them to check the logs to see why they are being blocked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    cPanelLauren likes this.
  4. KevBonline

KevBonline Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks for the reply...
    I'm not exactly sure which type of firewall software is being used
    I only have reseller level access and I see nothing pertaining to a firewall in the WHM

5. KevBonline

KevBonline Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks, I will do that this evening...
    I'm not sure if it makes any difference but I noticed earlier today when I tried to access this forum,
    I ran into the same error 'Secure Connection Failed", However it appears that the problem has gone away.
    I've updated my network adapter, made sure system time is correct, reinstalled FF, all to no avail.
    All 4 SSL certs. were created using AUTO SSL on cPanel and the expiration dates on all 4 are goods.
    I will try contacting my hosting provider again about the firewall issue and see what they can come up with.

Thanks again!

6. KevBonline

KevBonline Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    After months of struggling with this issue I finally found the culprit...
    It was actually a wordpress plugin.

I uninstalled everything and then installed and activated each plugin one at a time.
    I finally discovered that it was the plugin "Really Simple SSL" knocking me off the server.
    I'm not sure how or why it happened, all I know is when I stopped using this plugin, my problems went away.

I don't want to discourage anyone from using this particular plugin,
    but after months of getting feedback from cPanel experts, my ISP and my hosting provider,
    It turns out that the AUTO SSL feature on cPanel was more than sufficient for my particular configuration.

If you're experiencing connection errors like I was, and you're using this plugin, you might try uninstalling it.
    Thanks again to everyone who responded with advice, I really appreciate it!

Infopro likes this.
  7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter: