The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

considerations for add-on vs parked domain ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dtbaker, May 8, 2006.

1. dtbaker

dtbaker Registered

I have an 'old' domain that i would like to combine with a newer, shorter one...basically bounce everything including email from the old one to the new one that i have set up as a master domain in WHM.

I can't really tell fromt he docs if it would be better to do this as an aadd-on domain, or a parked domain.... anybody shed any light on the differences ??

I would like everything (web and email) to go to the 'new domain'. if I create a parked domain by the old name, do I also need to create the old email addresses, and forward them to targets on the new domain or does the parking take care of that?

2. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Judging by the age of this post, no one knows..... I've also been wanting to find out what the differences are, and the manual isn't really very clear on this. Anyone care to shed some light on the topic?

3. GnomeyNewt

GnomeyNewt Active Member

With what you have described, you will want to setup a parked domain name. This basically will forward all traffic to your new domain and e-mail too. To forward all e-mail from your old domain to your new domain, you will need to go to "Mail >> Email Domain Forwarding" and set it up there.

Hope that helps! :)

4. abhijith

abhijith Member

Thanks for the valuable information