The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consistent use of 'Are you sure?' in WHM/cPanel please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spaceman, Dec 23, 2003.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Suggestion: please can we see more consistent use of the 'Are you sure?' option in WHM/cPanel?

For example. when I click on any of the main left-hand menu options in WHM, it should never 'do' anything immediately - but I notice it still does.

At a bare minimum it should ask 'Are you sure'. Much better of course would be a brief description of the processes that are about to run as a consequence of clicking the 'Are you sure?' option.

The main/obvious reasons for consistent use of an 'Are you sure?' option are:
    1. So that potentially large system events are not accidentally kicked off.
    2. To give people (like myself) the confidence to click on a left-hand menu option to learn more about what it's about to do before deciding whether to do it or not.

Example:
    Update Apache - this is fine, a bunch of options are available on the screen prior to deciding whether to proceed or not.
    Update Server Software - this is BAD! Various processes run immediately the menu option is clicked.

It may (or may not) be true that the 'Are you sure?' step is only currently implemented where additional choices need to be made and/or the consequences of clicking the menu option are potentially more serious, but I'd still argue that it provides the opportunity to explain what's about to happen where none currently exists on certain menu options.

My thoughts for day! :)

2. Luke87

Luke87 Member

I like it how it is. Saves me clicking yes everytime if im doing something in a mass.

3. ljprevo

ljprevo Well-Known Member

Wait till you accidentally click something you did not want to.

I second the "Are you ready?" option as well.

A extra click to save downing a server.

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I know what I'm doing in WHM, but I didn't 2 years ago and would have loved to see info first, then a "go ahead". Even now, for the safety of my servers I like this idea. Resellers you know. ;)

5. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

Ditto.

I didn't know much about WHM when I started out. Even after reading the poorly written documentation on it.

I thought perhaps if I clicked the links on the left I'd be brought to more info....man was I wrong.

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I see Nick has done plenty in areas where it's needed. Anyone used the "terminate multiple accounts" lately? haha

7. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

depends on what kinda mood I'm in. Sometimes I like to see how long it takes before many clients notice their site is missing :p

8. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

You make the point very well!

The fact is that I've never plucked up the courage (yes, call me a complete coward, I can handle it!) to click that option because of the 1% chance that it might actually do something nasty immediately. If I knew with 100% confidence that it would definitely not do something nasty immediately, (ie. consistent application of the 'are you sure?' principle) then I'd take a look. Right now I'm much more comfortable terminating accounts individually. Sure, I'm 99% confident that it wouldn't do anything nasty, but why would I take the chance of unintentionally starting a chain of events that has a remote possibility of bringing sites down of paying clients on our server? It just ain't worth the risk.

'Terminate Multiple Accounts' and others are menu options that will remain unused by us until such time as the 'Are you sure?' or similar safety net becomes a guaranteed, standard feature across all of WHM (and cPanel, for that matter).

There's nothing scarier in WHM than clicking a menu option expecting to get more information, and instead the screen starts filling up with package updates, rebuilds, scans, etc. :eek:

#8 spaceman, Dec 23, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  9. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I take it that you have NOT seen this feature. When you are on this page WHM gives you a list of all the domains on the server. It then alows you to select them how you wish. Before it will actually let you delete those accounts you have to type into a form box "Yes I want to delete these accounts now" and you have to type that in exactally (not sure of the exact phrase but it's at least that complicated). My point was there is a checkpoint from hell !! Hell i have trouble getting past the "are you sure" test. Where I think the problem is who decides what needs a check point and what doesn't? I agree that many areas on WHM need a "are you sure". Some more than others. But I do feel that cPanel has at the very least started to implement this checkpoint in areas where everyone would agree it is needed. Like the script I just mentioned :)

10. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Yes. There are many cpanel options that do things with no verification that cpanel newbies may want to just look at for more info. That's one of the reasons I use my own skins, to add detail, and even a couple of safety steps for the end users.

11. maxbia

maxbia Active Member

Poster has a really good point. The rate at which new features are added to WHM sometimes if you click a link it will start to do whatever it is straight away. And lets face it, sometimes you do not know exactly what it is going to do. You probably clicked it looking for more information of the feature only, but it will start doing whatever. Also there is the aspect of hitting a link by mistake which does happen.