The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant bugs are becoming tiresome!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mark1hos, Dec 29, 2004.

1. mark1hos

mark1hos Active Member

We have been using cpanel for many years now and I do like the software. However, we are always facing bugs which causes inconvenience to one client or another.

The issue we are experiencing is that If I download a backup of the database for a website CURRENTLY running without any problems, then try to reinstall it to a new database, all I get is an SQL ERROR and no tables are created. This is NOT a new procedure to me - I have done this many times in the past - I know how to do it.

I have tried downloading databases from 3 different websites and tried to load them back to mysql. IN NONE of the cases could I get mySql to accept the database backup.

The whole point is that if I have a website problem and need to install the backup - it isn't going to work !!!!!!!!

Below is the message received every time a backup replacement is attempted.

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'option varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
    ordering int(11) unsi

Also when exporting a database via a zip file, it just says connection to the server was reset, over and over again. So I tried just grabbing the database without downloading and it gets half way through showing the database and then goes to a page cannot be displayed error.

We are using version 2.6.0 pl3

Any help would be appreciated!

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

so you're using phpmyadmin to do this?

A better idea would be to use the mysql tools on the command line. I've found them to be much more reliable.

Have you taken a look at the sql dump you've gotten before you import it again and made sure that it all made sense? Ie, so you're not trying to run the sql commands that tries to create a database that already exists.

3. jester.ro

jester.ro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    phpmyadmin is good only for restoring/baking up databases less than 10-20 mb in size.
    it's impossible to restore a 500-1000 mb database using phpmyadmin.

use command line commands for mysql

My opinion, regarding the error you're getting.

try to view the sql file before tring to upload it .
    and check how it ends. i believe the server timed out when it produced it. it happened to me once, i had to upload a 800 mb sql, and mysql CLI always crashed after few seconds. The .sql file contained an error at the end, the server from which was obtained timed out while dumping.

4. EdRooney

EdRooney BANNED

In your crontab put
    0 * * * * /scripts/updatenow
    1 * * * * /scripts/upcp
    20 * * * * /scripts/fixeverything

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Very poor idea...

I wish people would stop trying to fix one thing by risking breaking others (sledgehammer fixing).

The option of using commmand line sql is the correct approach.