Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Constant messages about dovecot/indexer-worker

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by petersphilo, Mar 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. petersphilo

petersphilo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hello,

i am running a VPS with Cpanel 68.0.33 on CentOS 7 x64 with 8GB dedicated RAM.

My server does not have all that many mail accounts -- probably no more than 30, all told, but some of these accounts are stupidly huge (like, over 45GB -- customer's always right, right?)

Anyway, i installed+enabled Solr, and recently enabled Dovecot compression in maildir format.

For a couple of months now, i've been getting onslaughts of messages regarding:
    dovecot/indexer-worker
    dovecot/indexer

Note: i know how to disable the alerts; that is not the issue..

The issue is that i'm wondering if there is anything i can do..

Restarting the server sometimes alleviates the issue for a couple of days, but it invariably comes back.

What's more, my clients (all Macs) report problems downloading attachments now (i have seen this issue as well)..

So, basically:
    Should i get rid of Solr?
    Should i stop Dovecot compression (if so, what happens to compressed messages)?

Other suggestions most welcome!
    Thank you in advance!

#1 petersphilo, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. petersphilo

petersphilo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Just a quick follow-up:
    my cPanel license requires that i go through my hosting company -- which i'm more than happy to do, by the way, because they absolutely rock -- and they basically said that it's normal for Solr to spend days indexing a same account if they have such massive mail usage..

As i mentioned to them, i don't like adding processes to lfd’s pignore file because it’s kind of akin to sticking my fingers in my ears and screaming 'lalalala' ;-)
    But they said they silence the following processes for that very reason:
    exe:/usr/libexec/dovecot/indexer-worker
    exe:/usr/libexec/dovecot/indexer

2 questions remain, though:
    - is Solr that worthwhile (it can take up to 1 GB RAM on a VPS)?
    - What is causing the macOS mail.app to have issues downloading attachments?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It can significantly improve the speed at which users can search for emails in their email clients, but ultimately it's an administrator's preference as to whether it's worth the increased memory usage.

Do you notice any specific output to /var/log/maillog or /var/log/exim_mainlog when downloading an attachment fails?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...