constant mysql connection issues?

fkatzenb

Sep 23, 2009
Lusby, Maryland, United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have been noticing that MySQL disconnects one a periodic basis. Of course I primarily notice through the email notices from my CB forums. But that means people are being directed to the error page. Not something I like to see. Suggestions?

WiredTree Joe

Dec 13, 2006
Chicago, IL
Most forum software can report the exact error being given, but you might be hitting your mySQL max connections. Check your /etc/my.cnf for low values on:

Code:
max_user_connections=25
max_connections=300
Very active forums can use a lot of connection slots under high concurrent usage. Raising those values and restarting mySQL is a good thing to try out. Don't raise them too high as those limits are in place for a reason. Setting them too high can run you out of server resources very quickly. Without knowing the exact error this is no more than a guess at the cause of the issue, but it might point you in the right direction.

MaestriaNick

Aug 6, 2008
This is most likely due to the script not closing connections to mysql properly or is getting too busy at times. There is a 25 (max_user_connections) concurrent mysql connection limit which is good for around 100 simultaneous visits on well written scripts. If a script is keeping connections open then obviously 25 concurrent connections do not go far and some of your visitors would see an error.

xerophyte

Mar 16, 2003
Canada
Install munin and mysql plugin to monitor the mysql server and get stats out of it. Then try to make a decision from the graphs. You can also try tunning-primer.sh to get draft idea about your mysql system variables setting .. hope that helps

fkatzenb

Sep 23, 2009
Lusby, Maryland, United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the info. Outside of those random notices, there has been no degraded performance. I did find in the log that eximstat/smtp was corrupted. I repaired that and I haven't received another notice. I will keep watching. I just wished logwatch would monitor mysql.

Thanks,
Frank