The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Content Legality Question for Hositng

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elleryjh, Feb 12, 2004.

1. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

There is a site that hosts many pictures of a female model, approximate age 12. Most pictures show her fully clothed, but some show her in a bathing suit. There is a members section for paying members with a wide selection of photos. There are no nude or sexually explicit pictures. What is your take on this? Should the account be revoked?

2. raventec

raventec Well-Known Member

Child exploitation

3. raventec

Maybe I jumped the gun, I'm a bit sensitive and rather outspoken when it comes to children. It is possible it's not exploitation, but it sounds pretty suspicious. if you have to ask, it probably is. Why would anyone pay a membership fee to see pictures of a little girl?

4. elleryjh

I feel the same way, but I'm not sure if I'm overly sensitive.

5. peddler

peddler Active Member

What would be the rationale for posting pictures of 12 year olds in bathing suits, unless of course, there is an ulterior motive? Having said this, I have seen kid’s pageant sites that have pictures of children in bathing suits, but I don’t suppose this is the case in this instance.

6. raventec

If it's about kids I'm not sure one can be too sensitive. I'd definitely watch them like a hawk. Good luck with it. The client you have's initials arent by chance KL are they?

7. elleryjh

No, the name given does not have those initials and is a woman's name

8. raventec

That's good. It sounded familiar to an incident I had.

I know what I'd do, I'd call the client up and verify that thier contact information is correct and casually ask them about their site to see if they have any sort of reaction to the question or have a reasonable explanation for what they're doing. Strike up a casual voice dialouge with them and see if you feel more or less comfortable after talking to them.
    Maybe someone else has more or some better ideas.

9. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

If it is geared more towards a modeling portfolio to get her into the industry maybe it isn't bad. That would be the only reason ever to have anything like this. Personally I think we would drop the site unless you could get something signed from the kid's legal guardian expressing it is for her modeling portfolio to get some type of career. I don't get putting pics of a young girl in a bathing suit. Like I said we would probably drop the client no questions asked. It is too borderline illegal/disgusting for my taste.

10. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

If it was me i wouldent like haveing anything to do with the site. even thow there may be nothing wrong with it buy law or anything like that. i would just ask the owner to move on within a few months.

11. elleryjh

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to ask the user to leave but am giving a few weeks to do so and then I will delete the account. I don't think there's really anything illegal, but as many of you said, I don't want to be associated with the material.

12. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

sounds like the right move, isent worth risking trouble for a few extra bux.

13. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Being a paid site is what would make me most likely decide to close the account.

There are legitimate child modelling sites, but legitimate ones are for modelling agencies to have something to look at, and modelling agencies are not going to pay to see a portfolio.

Pretty much any paid site with child photos is out there for the purpose of making money, which in itself is not a good idea. In most cases, the child doesn't even know the site exists. Even if they do know, they're not old enough to understand the possible consequences of being publicly displayed like that.

There are people out there who pay for membership to those sites and it's not because they are looking for a child model. Legitimate sites like that should be password protected, but rather than paying for membership, they would give the password to legitimate modelling agencies.

14. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

good choice

15. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

One good way out is the ask the client to provide to you signed model releases from the parents of every child depicted on the site. In order to use recognizable photos of someone on a commercial, for profit website one is required to have a model release signed by the model or the guardian if it is a child. So, if she cannot provide that, then she is breaking the law, albeit a law that is specific to the US and is hardly inforced.