Contents of file “cpbackup-exclude.conf” is deleted daily

delta57

Registered
Jan 5, 2019
Gloucestershire UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi
I am running a Drupal 8 website on a shared hosting package.
A file /home/username/cpbackup-exclude.conf has been created to exclude specified folders from my backups and works fine. However, (according to the file timestamp) the contents of this file are deleted (file size=0) between 0300 and 0400hrs each morning. This happens daily whether the file contains my commands or has already be emptied.

My web host cannot immediately offer a solution other than set permissions to 444 but that had no effect. I can not find any clues in logs (cPanel or Drupal) or in the cPanel forum but then I am new to this.

Any suggestions as to how I can stop this happening or pass advice to the hosing company would be very welcome. Thank you.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @delta57

There's nothing that occurs when backups run (or any time) that would remove this file as it pertains to cPanel functions. What it sounds like is happening is here is that the provider has something running that is removing this. It's hard to know that for sure without more information though. They could potentially set up filewatch using auditd but none of this stuff that you can do. I'd suggest they look over the crons they have in place, investigate any custom hooks and logs. If all of that fails they'd need to set up an auditd rule to watch the file for when it changes.

Thanks!

delta57

Registered
Jan 5, 2019
Gloucestershire UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi @delta57

There's nothing that occurs when backups run (or any time) that would remove this file as it pertains to cPanel functions. What it sounds like is happening is here is that the provider has something running that is removing this. It's hard to know that for sure without more information though. They could potentially set up filewatch using auditd but none of this stuff that you can do. I'd suggest they look over the crons they have in place, investigate any custom hooks and logs. If all of that fails they'd need to set up an auditd rule to watch the file for when it changes.

Thanks!
Hi Lauren,
Many thanks for your advice. I believe my contact at my provider was not very familiar with their practices but they could look deeper into the matter and I will ask them to.
Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cPanelLauren