The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continued...Which Linux should CPanel support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ciphervendor, Dec 22, 2003.

1. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2002
    My post is in regards to: Which Linux should CPanel support -

I find this thread amazingly amusing & frightening. There are numerous hosts in this thread stating that they're either going to use an outdated Operating System for their servers (previous Red Hat versions), use Fedora an alpha/beta testing bed or switch to a free Operating System (various other Linux & BSD distros).

As hosts and for cPanel the upgrade path should be extremely clear. Red Hat has made and will continue to make massive contributions to the open source community.

Red Hat's packaging system is rock solid (this has been ripped off / imitated / botched by a bunch of distros), their kernels contain an insane amount of tweaks & optimizations (something no other distro does) and the company has a clear vision for the future--asking people to pay for their distro in order to further development & to allow them to produce a solid product.

If your hosting business can't take a business / operating expense of $349 USD per server (Red Hat Enterprise ES) for the first year; then you shouldn't be in business. A standard shared hosting machine should be making between $2,000 - $4,000 USD a month in profit. A bulk reseller box should be making between $1,000 - $3,000 USD a month.

Past Red Hat Enterprise products (I don't recall their names off the top of my head) were extremely stable & the Operating System was without a doubt a solid investment.

In my opinion along with many years of web hosting experience, cPanel should concentrate on supporting products that will make cPanel stable. Select Red Hat Enterprise as a Linux distro to support & FreeBSD for the BSD crowd. Everything else is just unneeded noise.

SuSE/Fedora will be the best distros for workstations. Debian, Slackware, Mandrake, Solaris, etc. have their own place, but it certainly isn't with cPanel installed on them for various logical reasons.

If your main concern is that you can't simply pop in a CD and hit the upgrade button, then you need to rethink how you maintain your servers. A couple hours of minor maintenance (if you don't have redundant hardware) is a small price to pay for a solid server. I'm sure if you explain to your customer that you'll be doing an Operating System upgrade and here are the advantages this makes for happy customers--common sense.

To reiterate what I've mentioned above, cPanel should scrape the 11 distro support idea and condense it to Red Hat Enterprise & FreeBSD. This will ultimately allow for more time spent on making cPanel/WHM stable and less time spent on supporting useless Operating Systems.

Moreover, cPanel could become a Red Hat Enterprise reseller and offer the Operating System at cut throat pricing; which is a rational business vertical.
    #1 ciphervendor, Dec 22, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  2. rolfmarteijn

rolfmarteijn Registered

Dec 10, 2003
    The author above makes some very interesting points. Of course, for commercial use, those willing to use RedHat Enterprise should not be frightned by the price, if that's their problem, they probably have their margins set too low.

However, simply stating that other OSses are 'useless Operating Systems' is a bit narrow minded. There are numerous reasons for picking a distro. One of them might the distro's your other servers are using. If you're 'just' in webhosting, all your servers will most likely have the same kind of setup and distro (maybe some .NET servers as well). However, in more mixed environments (like mine, a university), we made our choice differently.

The 'benefits' of RH the author mentioned: stable and ease of upgrade do count as well for our choice, debian.

Whether or not Nick will develop for other distro's as well is simply a business decision he has to make... more distro's supported means more potential clients (hey some competitors do so) and potentially more revenues. This potiential profit they'll have to match with their costs for supporting more distro's.

As most of the packages required for cPanel are available for most distro's, the additional work might be relatively limited. Actually the porting to windows might be much more time consuming ;-)

Just my E0.02 (yes, I'm from Europe):)