The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Control 2 or more physical machines with one cPanel installation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nesanjoseph, May 17, 2011.

1. nesanjoseph

nesanjoseph Active Member

Hi,

I do not know if this is possible. Can some one clarify me this doubt?

Is it possible to have 2 or more physical machines but with only one cPanel installation on one machine which will have control over the other physical machines too? i.e., I will have 3 machines say A, B & C . I will install cPanel on machine A and 500 accounts/users will be created on machine A through WHM (root) login. And I should be able to create 500 more accounts in machines B and C each through the 'A' machine's WHM (root) login.

Hope I have asked my question clear. Is this possible? i.e. from one cPanel installed machine, I have to manage accounts residing on other physical machine.

Awaiting a reply.

Many thanks in advance,
    Nesan Joseph R.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There are currently no native options available with cPanel to allow this type of configuration.

However, if you can let us know the reason you require such a setup, we may be able to point you in the right direction for alternative solutions.

Thank you.

3. nesanjoseph

Hi,

I would wish to maintain a balance on my servers without giving much load on one server by creating several hundreds of cPanel accounts in one machine itself. Hence, if there is a way to use multiple number of machines but with one single control panel, I can keep "X" number of accounts in one machine, another "X" number of accounts in another machine, so on, and will manage all of them thro' one control panel. i.e., the home directory of some accounts will reside on machine A, some on machine B and so on.

Hope I have clarified my requirement. Is this possible? Or only one physical machine can be used for a shared webhosting managed with cPanel?

More common questions: ;-)

1) What is the recommended number of maximum number of cPanel accounts that can reside in a machine (so that performance is not affected)?

2) Can the count be unlimited if we just have a good disk space?

Many thanks,
    Nesan Joseph R.

4. JerrySmith

JerrySmith Active Member

Hello,

It is incredibly difficult to estimate the number of accounts that can be placed on a server. It depends on a number of factors such as hardware, network connectivity, and the kinds of sites you will be hosting.

While you are free to set resource usage limits to 'unlimited', it does leave the door open for abusive users to take advantage.

As to your original question, most providers in my experience have several machines each with it's own cPanel installation.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel would need to be licensed on all three machines, since cPanel cannot control multiple machines without being licensed on those machines. By trying to only have cPanel on one of the machines but the same abilities that cPanel provides on three machines, it would be effectively trying to bypass the licensing for cPanel. As such, I couldn't personally provide any recommendations for this, since cPanel doesn't license based on number of accounts or domains (Enkompass on the Windows side does do it per account, since it allows this type of multi-server setup).

What I could recommend would be to instead move MySQL to its own machine and exim to its own machine and DNS to its own machine, then you can cluster these services to the cPanel machine, which effectively becomes just a web server machine with the other services handled off server. We do support remote MySQL and DNS only remotely. Exim would have to be configured manually separately. This type of setup would be allowed under the current cPanel licensing setup.

6. nesanjoseph

Hi all,

Many thanks for the clarifications.

Nesan Joseph R.