The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/controlpanel = Internal Server Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gordita, Oct 16, 2003.

1. gordita

gordita Well-Known Member

All the domains on one of my cPanel boxes return a Internal Server Error whenever someone tries to access their control panel through www.domainname.com/controlpanel

cPanel can be accessed fine by using the http://www.domain.com:2082 URL, but for some reason it dies on the redirect.

... can you offer any suggestions?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear gordita,

If any domain is suspended then 500 Internal Server Error problem will come. Please check that the domains you are trying to access is suspended or not. If suspended please unsuspend it and try it. Sometime the path is not correct then also this problem will come. So please verify the path.

Regards,

3. Go2reg

Go2reg Active Member

This is happening to me also we have the current version of Cpanel but all domains have an issue with accessing cpanel from the domain.

And yes i have checked to make sure these domains are not suspended.

Any help would be good.

4. gordita

gordita Well-Known Member

Dissabling SuExec temporarily fixed it for me.... but I want to be able to run SuExec.

5. dankoerner

dankoerner Member

SuExec is the culprit

Hi,

On our server, having SuExec enabled causes all cgi redirects and most scripts to break and return a Server Misconfiguration error as described above.

If you disable SuExec in WHM, everything will work fine.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way around this problem. There doesn't appear to be any way to enable SuExec and have your CGI scripts work right.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Nothing at all wrong with SuEXEC. If your scripts don't run after enabling it, then you have either:

1. Incorrect file ownerships (must be username:username, not nobody:nobody)
    2. Incorrect CGI file/directory permissions (directories must be chmod 755 for all dirs in cgi-bin, CGI scripts must be 711 (755 will work but is usually unneccessary))

Nearly always looking in /etc/httpd/logs/suexec_log will show you what the error is.

Btw, you did know that you were posting to a 6 month old thread?

7. Mandm84

Mandm84 Registered

What do you mean by Incorrect file ownerships?

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The files and directories within the users /home/username/public_html/* should be owned by username:username (except for the public_html directory itself which should be username:nobody).

9. TKlaver

TKlaver Member

All permissions are correct here, though the same problem is there when SuExec is enabled.

10. Mandm84

Mandm84 Registered

I'm just the webmaster, are you saying my hoster, the oe that posted this for me has the problem?

11. the Eych

the Eych Registered

You will need to update to 9.4.0 branch to make /cpanel work again. 9.4.0 is currently a RELEASE branch, so you might need to change you cpanel update preferencies as well.

12. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

This is related to the latest apache upgrade if your host has upgraded apache and has SuEXEC enabled then it will throw an internal server error , if your host does not read this forum , he /she may have no idea it is happening.

#12 sleuth1, Jun 12, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  13. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with the redirects to webmail from user's webspace after upgrading through /scripts/upcp, the apparent cause is that somehow cpanel's new easyapache removed settings that allowed /usr/local/cpanel/base/ to be trusted by suexec. The file and directory are owned by root/wheel, and suexec flags it as an error, because the script is a shared script, and doesn't belong to the owner of the web directory. The rest of the suexec is fine, it's ONLY cpanel supplied cgis that seem to be having a problem at present.

14. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Anyone besides me think it's strange going on unthinkable why stable builds EVER get broken like this? Why call something stable, and yet let it be more broken than something that's unstable?

15. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It is bad - though in their defence they were trying to get a stable release out quickly because of the mod_php and fp vulnerabilities. A new stable fixing this should have been forthcoming to rectify this issue.