The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert2maildir - maxing out HD

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Kung!, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Kung!

Kung! Registered

So I enabled backups in WHM after creating a backup directory; and then told convert2maildir to back up all profiles.

After getting about half of them backed up, I had to cease and desist because the backup partition was maxed out.

My question - obviously it's a good thing to back up; but I am not quite sure (being as I'm junglecat's sidekick) if there is more space available - even if we can repartition, not sure if there'll be enough space even then.

So my question is - is it absolutely NECESSARY to back these up before conversion? I know that sounds like an all-time dumb question; but if it just means a bit more cmd line work if the conversions fail, that's one thing; if it means total loss of mail/directories, that's another.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's always best if you can backup before upgrading. However, so long as you take precautions beforehand I've only even had the migration process go smoothly:

1. Make sure that you're running the latest version of the release of cPanel that you're on

2. Make sure /scripts/rpmup runs cleanly for rpms and perl modules

3. Make sure your /home partition(s) have reasonable disk space on them

4. Once you start the conversion process, wait. Wait until it finishes. Don't kill it. Don't rerun it. Wait. The log file it produces, on most hosts, will appear to have stopped doing anything, but if you check the output of:

ps axf

You'll likely see that it is still running mb2md processes.

3. php-dawg

php-dawg Active Member

How long should this process take? It has been using up our CPU on the server for one account for over 328 minutes. There is only 3659 bytes in their email directory!