converting a DirectAdmin backup to cPanel

Lem0nHead

Sep 2, 2003
hello

I know there's a tool that convert a cpmove file to the directadmin format that can be imported on a DirectAdmin panel

is there a "reverse" tool?

I know cPanel supports import from DirectAdmin servers, but what I really need is to "convert" the DirectAdmin backup file to cpmove format (the company which I'm being "forced" to use only allows imports from cpmove files, and I have hundreds of them to import)

thanks

Lem0nHead

Sep 2, 2003
if there isn't such tool, is there a documentation on cpmove format?
I'm willing to code this tool if necessary

thanks

cPanelKeithS

Staff member
Oct 14, 2008
We do not have automation in place to convert DA backups at this time. Do you have root access to the servers? There are transfer tools in place to accommodate transfers that would fulfill your needs if access is available.

If our present tools do not work for your situation and you do have any questions you want to explore regarding methods to extract DA backups, we are happy to explore that with you and offer suggestions/advice. At the moment though, extracting from DA backups into cPanel accounts is not supported.

Feel free to submit a ticket for more in depth discourse.

ArbuZz

Mar 27, 2007
Damn... why not? This could be such a handy tool. Is it such a big problem to arrange one?

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There was a prior discussion on why Plesk backups aren't able to be used for Plesk to cPanel migrations, which would also apply for DirectAdmin backups:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/plesk-cpanel-migration-157105.html#post670978

This reply by cPanelDon covers the logistics on the reasoning behind why cPanel requires access to the source machine to create a valid backup. Using another control panel's backup would make it far more likely for the restore of the account to fail and make it more likely that invalid data (that might even be insecure) could be restored onto the cPanel machine.