Cookies not getting to scripts in hosted websites

TheGarnet

Member
Sep 9, 2010
10
0
51
Cookies not getting to scripts in account on Linux WHM VPS Optimized

I have several websites accounts in a Linux virtual machine which has WHM VPS Optimized Cpanel.

WHM 11.26.8
SUSE 10.0 i686 vmware on my domain....

These websites have a working installed variation of usemod wiki software operating as a 404 handler. I have been running this software within these accounts on my server without any changes to the wiki software in years. The software has performed flawlessly. Until this morning.

The software has a login feature which uses cookies. All copies now seem to be having the cookies dropped. Trying to set preferences for a new user causes the software to complain that it needs cookies, but no cookie is being seen.

So it seems like cookies are not getting through to the scripts in the websites I am hosting.

Like I said, this software has worked without changes for years. Apparently the last CPANEL update to my server has blown up this feature.

I run this software in several accounts within my server, and all are now broke in the same way. They were recently working.

Any idea where I might start looking for more details on this problem, and even better, a solution?

Thanks....
 
Last edited:

Infopro

Well-Known Member
May 20, 2003
17,112
513
613
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I'm not sure a cPanel update could do such a thing. Have you done any troubleshooting, like doing what you want to do on another browser or PC even if possible, just to be sure it's not a local issue on your end?

I know it sounds silly but doesn't hurt to ask all the same.
 

TheGarnet

Member
Sep 9, 2010
10
0
51
Double checked....

I have three different websites hosting this script. All of them are failing in the same way. A function to set preferences complains when trying to save the preferences "Preferences require cookies, but no cookie was sent."

I can login to the software. But as soon as I go to the next screen, it forgets the login. Everything speaks of cookies not getting sent.

I have tried from two different machines on two different networks, three different web browsers. All have same problem.

Customer who updates his own site called me saying the logins were failing for him too today. He gets logged in, but then gets the same problem of it forgetting his login. So that makes three different machines, etc.

CPanel updates have broken other things on my server from time to time.
 

TheGarnet

Member
Sep 9, 2010
10
0
51
This message keeps being bounced around different areas of the forum.

for clarification:

I am running my own virtual machine on my own physical hardware, with WHM VPS Optimized installed in the virtual machine.

WHM 11.26.8
SUSE 10.0 i686 vmware on mydomain....

I have been running cpanel on this machine for a few years.
 

JaredR.

Well-Known Member
Feb 25, 2010
1,834
23
143
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
To clarify, we do support legacy installations of cPanel on certain operating systems, but we encourage customers still using those operating systems to migrate to a supported distribution as soon as possible. The following page lists the operating systems we support:

System Requirements - cPanel Inc.

We support legacy installations on SuSE 9.0, but not on SuSE 10.0. We do not support new installations on anything other than CentOS, Red Hat or FreeBSD.
 

TheGarnet

Member
Sep 9, 2010
10
0
51
When I setup this system, SUSE 10 was a CPanel supported system. I looked very carefully to choose an OS that was listed as supported with Cpanel and VMware Server.
 

TheGarnet

Member
Sep 9, 2010
10
0
51
Problem solved

OK. Found the problem. the perl script had a hard coded expiration date for its cookies of 08-sep-2010.

I guess the original author back in 2000 thought 2010 was a long way away. I had no idea this script had a time bomb in it..

These programs helped me verify cookies were working:
Perl CGI cookies - How to get and set cookies in Perl CGI programs | devdaily.com

Then it just took digging into the perl script to find the right place to echo the headers....