Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copied Cert Key Invalid

Discussion in 'Security' started by Thunderchild, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Firstly I am uncertain of what SSL certificates I have. Does every domain get a fully fledged puker SSL certificate that requires no other, or is it still recomended to basically buy one for a domain?

I bought one for one of my domains before getting my own cloud server, so do I still need it ? I have attempted to install it but am told the text I am copying into the certificate and key boxes is not valid.

I have woocommerce installed on wordpress and it is not happy with the SSL status.

I don't know if this means anything to anyone:- Removed -

#1 Thunderchild, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Thunderchild

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    seems I needed to update my wordpress settings as the "s" was missing from the site address under settings. But I'm still curious about what to do with this certificate I bought.

3. thowden

thowden Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

CPanel issued certificates are generally available and default on most WHM / CPanel systems, so yes if that feature is enabled, all sites / domains will get one.

My best guess from your description is that you have the certificate file for your purchased SSL but do not have the private key file that was used to create it. That would be on the original server that you generated the certificate request on when ordering.

Your current site has a CPanel issued certificate which is correctly installed for removed

You might want to install your own purchased SSL for the specific site but that is a decision that needs to be based on the site / business requirements. (hint: personal blog, use a free SSL; business / e-commerce site, buy the SSL)

As an aside, I think you mean 'pukka' = 'real' rather than 'puker'. I am a card-carrying member of the spelling police:)

Tony

#3 thowden, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2018
  4. Thunderchild

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well yes as I am running a shop as you say the dedicated one might be a good idea. The previous hosting company gave me a wall of text in 3 paragraphs:

private_key: -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
    Stuff
    -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
    certificate: -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    Stuff
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    Intermediate Certificate:
    certificate: -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    Stuff
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----

I tried copying the paragraphs of text into each field but they are invalid apparently. I don't have any actual files just the 3 paragraphs of text.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The certificates offered through AutoSSL are fully signed, but you are welcome to use your own third-party SSL certificate. It's possible you need to generate a new CSR/Key via the following option in cPanel:

Certificate Signing Requests - CSR - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Next, provide this information to your SSL provider to have them issue you a new CRT file. You can then install the updated CRT via:

Install and Manage SSL for your site HTTPS - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

6. Thunderchild

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well if the cpanel certificate is just as good I'll stick with that.