The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Backup to second server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoWilkes, Aug 25, 2011.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have 2 semi-managed servers. They are both set to back themselves up daily, and both are in different locations.

Is it possible for me to have the backup for each server copied to a specific directory on the other server? Meaning, once server1 is completely backed up, the files would be copied to /backup/server1/ on server2; and, once server2 is completely backed up, the files would be copied to /backup/server2/ on server2?

Ideally, the newly copied files would overwrite the existing ones; I would only need the most recent backup to be stored on the alternate server.

The reason for this is fairly obvious, I think; if I have a complete server meltdown, I would have a backup copy. And it would be pretty unlikely to have a meltdown on 2 different servers in 2 different locations at the same time; not impossible, but at least unlikely.

TIA,

Jason

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

How about an rsync of the backup files across the two servers??

If you could configure "rsnapshot" on both the server, ti would be pretty tidy and use less resource.

In both the case, I recommend to connect the server using a cross cable ( if those aren't the part of a Gibabit LAN) and backup the files using that private network.

Thank you.