The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Mutliple Accounts - No Stream Xfer Option??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by autolux, Apr 17, 2013.

1. autolux

autolux Member

Hi there,

I'm planning for the migration of 10 VM's running cPanel/WHM shared/reseller hosting. All accounts need to move to new cPanel/WHM VM's running on newer infrastructure.

For very specific reasons (lack of deduplication on the SAN storage for current VM's), I simply cannot afford to package all accounts and migrate them - tarring the homedir will write data I cannot recover without great difficulty from the underlying SAN storage and will most likely fill it.

Not to mention given the number & size of accounts to migrate, this would create huge amounts of server load as accounts are packaged and also restored, causing severe customer interruption.

I recall doing a similar migration 3-4 years ago and cannot remember having issues - the cPanel 'copy multiple accounts' feature allowed you to select 'stream xfer' which would pkgacct using the --skiphomedir flag and then stream (i assume rsync) the homedir as part of the move for each account. I remember this being available around version 11.24/26/28?? and it being practically flawless.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to locate the 'Stream' option when using the 'Copy Multiple Accounts/Packages From Another Server' feature? However, it does appear when using the singular 'Copy An Account From Another Server' and as mentioned, works perfectly and is EXACTLY what I'm needing, but for multiple accounts..

Am I blind or doing something wrong? has this feature been changed or removed for multiple accounts?

#1 autolux, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. autolux

autolux Member

ok so i appear to have misread the documentation and its now an option by default? in testing i was using the 'skip homedir' option cause im antsy about space and that seems to defeat the purpose.

i'm a little bit confused by the current way it is and some of the options, give that for my reqs i need to be 110% certain cPanel is going to compress as little as possible ie. no big homedir gzips filling my SAN volume.

just for further clarification, regarding the 'Don't Compress Transfers' option -- i assume this has no relation on compressing the account. Is this a flag for the rsync or 'stream' process of the homedir? to compress the data being transferred and save time?

is any kind of overhead is placed on the server leaving this option default unticked? does it save much time.