The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copy new site to old domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tkporcel, Feb 15, 2006.

1. tkporcel

tkporcel Registered

We are building our new site on a new server. Originally I was going to build off an IP because our old site is still hosted with another server where we want to keep it until the new one is done. I just registered a new domain and my question is would it be easier for me to build the new site on the new domain vs. using an IP? Can I build the site on the new domain and than copy the site to the old when we switch the dns?

-Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The simplest way would probably be to use a subdomain or a spare domain and do the work on that on the new server and then use the cPanel Park Domain when you want to move the old domain over and park it against the temporary one.

The alternative is to use the inbuilt mod_userdir option whene you setup the account using the same domain name on the new server without transferring the DNS and either use the IP address method you outline, or access through:

http://hostname.server.com/~accountname/

Though that can be difficult depending on how your site works.